Book Two Chapter 2

Chapter Two

The remaining three hundred and fifty miles it took to cross South Dakota was seemingly taking forever but we finally hit Sioux Falls; which laid right on the border. We stopped for gas and to get dinner, then to get a room for the night and start fresh in the morning.

We filled the car with gas and drove across the street through a local taco vender and got a bag of tacos and burritos, then went to check into a local motel. I walked into the office and there sat this little old man behind the counter and a younger guy in front of it, yelling obscenities at him about over charging him for the room and how he was going to come over that counter and hurt the little old man. I reached forward and tapped the man on the shoulder.

"Excuse me sir, but me and my friends have had an extremely long day and we are exhausted, we would really like to check into our room and get some rest before we move on in the morning; is there a problem maybe I can assist you with? Because frankly I find your verbal abuse of this kind man behind the counter, rather offensive beingst how it's so damn disrespectful!"

"Why don’t you mind your own business, you snot nosed little shit before I send you straight to intensive care."

"Now sir, you are offending me more and more by the minute and I promised my girlfriend outside that I wouldn’t let no uneducated, inbred redneck jackass, good old boys get me into any trouble. So I am asking you to please settle down and move on before things get out of hand, more so than you can handle."

I stared the man down intensely; I could see the rage in his eyes when I called him an uneducated, inbred redneck jackass, though I thought it was creative. It was also meant to instigate, and it did its job rather well.

He doubled up his fist and swung at me, I ducked to avoid the blow and came back up raising my knee with as much force as I could, striking him in the ribs with my hand. Cupping the back of his neck and gripping his hair, my other hand gripping the back of his jeans, holding him in that position of leaned over while I continued drilling him in the stomach and ribs with my knee several more times. Then finally a well-placed knee to his face, breaking his nose and knocking out three teeth as the blood poured and he hit the floor, catching the attention of not one but three of his friends outside as they came running in the door.

"SHIT!" I reached for my knife, but it was left in the car.

"Hey kid, here you’re going to need this."

The little old man hollered as he tossed me a baseball bat, catching it as the first man came through the door. I turned and swung, cracking it across his knees, immediately bringing him to the ground screaming in pain. The second man through the door grabbed me from behind, I dropped the bat and quickly reached over my shoulder, grabbing his hair dropping to one knee throwing my weight forward and flipping him over my shoulder as his body bounced off the ground. I struck him in the face and quickly turned to confront the third man, only to find him holding the bat and preparing to swing it at me; then we both heard it.

The click of the gun, while it was pointed to the back of his head, "drop the bat and get on the floor, or I’ll turn your head into a canoe asshole" Stacey spoke as she held a .44 she undoubtedly got from my bag.

"Are you ok, Steven?"

“Me? Shit, yeah I am fine. Thanks for getting my back there babe; I must say he wasn’t the only one that didn’t see that coming.”

Stacey smiled as I picked up the bat and ordered the third man to stand back up, as he did I swung the bat and connected with the man’s testicals bringing him back to his knees then front kicked him in the face; driving him back and knocking him out. 

Turning around I handed the bat back over to the little old man, who was standing there with wide eyes and a massive grin on his face, who then tossed me a room key s thanking me and saying the room was on the house for the night.

“Well thank you sir, I suppose the police are going to have plenty of questions; just what I don’t need.”

“Nah son, no worries there these boys are not going to press charges or call anyone but a ride to the hospital, they are local wannabe thugs. They never involve the police but I am pretty sure they will come back here looking for you, so I wouldn’t rest to awful long before I got out of town son, I don’t want to find you and that pretty lady hurt or dead. I couldn’t handle that, thank you again, now you go get some rest.”

I nodded to the old man and Stacey; I got in the truck and drove around back of the motel looking for our room. I couldn’t stop thinking about what the little old man said about those guys being local wannabe thugs, and how not to stay long or they would come looking for me, I smirked. The thought made me warm and fuzzy inside cause I had no Intentions of sticking around waiting for them to come find me, I would soon be hunting them down; one by one...