Chapter 48

I stretched like a wild cat andopened my eyes. The unfamiliar cream-colored canopy above my head came intovision. I quickly looked around at the petals strewn room, clothes lying hereand there, and Anis sitting in an armchair near the fireplace, typing away onhis laptop. Did he have to work even onhis first day of marriage? The question stuck in my mind. I quickly sat upin bed, sending murderous glances along his way.

"Good morning!" he called outwhen he saw me awake. His gaze roamed over my face to my shoulders, his eyessparkling with miscief and I realized then that I wasn't wearing anythingunderneath the sheet. I quickly wrapped the sheet around me more securely thanbefore and Anis chuckled at that.

"Good morning!" I responded."What are you working on this early in the morning?" I asked casually. Todaywas our first day as husband and wife, in fact, our wedding wasn't over yet andhe was working. Even I had taken a month's leave because of our wedding.

"I just had to send an email,which I've done, so here lies the laptop and here I am." He said as he closedthe lid and stood up from the chair. He was already dressed in a blue jeans andstriped white and blue shirt. His hair was still wet from the bath. He walkedpurposefully towards me. Coming towards the bed, he sat down near me and kissedmy lips softly, unlike the kisses of the night before.

"You look beautiful when youwake up in the morning." He said as he pushed a stray strand off my cheek. Ifelt warm all over just by his carefully whispered comment. I just looked inhis eyes, unable to say anything. There was nothing different than waking upevery morning in Toronto, when Anis used to bring breakfast for me. The onlything that was different was that we didn't sleep in the same bed, except once.After last night, I felt myself more in love with him than before. Every poreof my body singed his name as I watched him. I wanted to touch his cheek but Ididn't have the strength to do that.

"I'm going to check on Mairadownstairs, do get showered and dress. Sadaf and Ayesha must be on their waywith the breakfast." He said, taking my hand in his and squeezing my fingers alittle.

"Sure." I nodded. My throatconstricted with emotions and I couldn't say anything else.

It was another tradition of ourfamily that when a daughter is wed, the sisters and cousins bring breakfast forher and the groom's family the next morning. It was a always a totallytraditional breakfast that was brought but as I never liked that, I hadspecifically asked mom to send something which I would be able to eat. It wasan interesting tradition and I had rather enjoyed when I'd brought breakfastfor Sadaf on her wedding.

As soon as Anis left the room,I scrambled out from beneath the sheets and wrapped my dressing gown around me.Five minutes later, I had jumped into the shower. It was then that I felt thestrained muscles of my inner thighs and slight tenderness there. The events oflast night came back to me and I could almost feel my skin heat up. I closed myeyes and moved my face under the shower but all I could think was Anis and howgentle he was last night. I finished my shower and brushed my teeth when Istepped in the walk-in closet that was inside the washroom, deciding what towear. I chose a purple dress, with crinkled sleeves and embroidered neckline.

Quickly dressing up, I brushedand dried my hair and applied some light pink lipstick. Once I was ready, Itidied the room. Anis's clothes were strewn here and there which I threw in thelaundry basket. I was just picking up the last few things when there was aknock on the door.

"Come in!" I called out as Ithrew the wrappers in the dustbin.

"'Morning, sis!" Maira calledout cheerfully.

"Good Morning!" I greeted her,smiling at her chirrupy nature.

"Sadaf and Ayesha are here withthe breakfast so everyone is calling you downstairs." She said from thedoorway. I picked up my dupatta andwalked towards the door.