Chapter 35

The door to my room swung open and banged with the wall loudly. I knew who was there, looking at me. This was her habit since she was ten years old when she used to come to my place and bang the door open just like that. Over the years, she hadn't changed at all. I didn't even acknowledge her which I knew would definitely riled her. Our relationship had been like sisters so I loved irritating her. I kept applying eyeliner to my eyes as I was already late for work. I had to drop by at the hospital to check on Anis's father as well.

"Oh my god! Just look at you." Sadaf exclaimed as she entered the room and stood in front of me with her hands on her hips.

"What?" I asked innocently, while a playful smiled curled on my lips. I knew what she was talking about but I loved to play around with her. This morning, I had gone ahead and picked out my jeans, which had been resting at the back of my closet for I don't know how long and had matched a hot-pink tank top with it that I'd got from Canada. The top had cap sleeves and a broad shoulder but I still managed to hide my scars by wrapping a scar around my neck.

"You look hot, Alisha." Sadaf said cheerfully. "But I wonder who you got dressed for." Playfully, she walked around me.

"As if you don't know." I retorted as I applied some light pink lipstick to my lips.

"Oh yes! Anis. I wonder what he will say when he sees you." Sadaf winked at me.

"He won't say anything. By the way, I'm going to the hospital before I go to work. You want to come along?" I asked as I gave my hair some light strokes and was now all ready to go.

"Yeah, sure! Shahmir dropped me here so that I can go to the office with you. He said he has some important business to attend to."

I looked at her sharply.

"I wonder!"

"Anyways, let's get going then." Sadaf said with that always happy-go-lucky attitude of hers. We descended the stairs together. Mom and dad were in the dining room, having breakfast. Dad looked up as I entered, with Sadaf behind me. I greeted both of them.

"Come and have some breakfast, Alisha." Dad said as he folded his newspaper and turned to face me. I took my seat on the right hand side of my dad. Sadaf entered the room just then and greeted everyone. Mom poured me some coffee and offered me a buttered toast.

"Thank you mom!" I said as I accepted it and took a bite.

"Sadaf, what would you like to have?" Mom asked.

"I had my breakfast already, aunty, I'll just have some tea. You should sit and eat, I'll make it myself." She said and took hold of the kettle that had tea in it. She poured the tea in her cup, added sugar and mixed it.

"Alisha, are you going back to work already?" Dad asked me as he took a bite of his omelet.

"Yes dad! I've been away too long and now I can't miss work. Secondly, I need to drop by at the hospital to check on Anis's dad as well."

"Oh! Is there any change in his condition?" Dad inquired.

"Not yet! Today they had to take him for his angiography and after that his condition will be clear to us."

"I hope he gets well soon. How difficult would this be for his family." Mom commented. I nodded and finished my toast. Gulping my coffee quickly, I stood up.

"I better be on my way now. Sadaf, let's go."

"Alright. Drive safely." Mom and Dad said as we left the room.

Outside in the car, I turned towards Sadaf and asked her.

"Don't you think their behavior is awkward whenever I take Anis's name in front of them?"