Chapter 42

I applied breaks to my car outside the Evacuee Trust Building and turned to look at the looming building right beside the Marriott Hotel. The fresh blue windows of the Evacuee Trust Building were always my favorite and I'd always wanted to have my office here but when my architect came up with the designs for my office, I fell in love with the building all the more. Therefore, I had purchased land and constructed my own office in F-6 rather than rent out a space in such a small building. Coming out of my musing, I slipped the keys out of the ignition and breathed. I can do this! I chanted to myself as I willed myself

I was here to meet Anis and discuss my upcoming surgery with him. Heaving a sigh, I guided my car neatly in an empty parking space and stepped out. Anis's office as situated on the third floor and I had yet to find an opening about how to approach this topic with him. I walked through the lobby towards the elevator and then punched the third floor button. The static voice in the elevator announced the third floor and the doors opened on a spacious reception.

On first glance, I could see the polished wooden floor, the gleaming crest of the company and the receptionist sitting behind the desk, talking on the phone. I stepped closer to her desk and smiled sweetly at her. She looked at my face as if she'd seen a ghost. Her gaze moved from my forehead to my left cheek and then she looked at me with pity in her eyes. I just smiled at her, the usual smile of mine.

"I'm here to meet Mr. Mughal." I said to her.

"Please take a seat, Miss...?" She inquired.

"Alisha!" I provided her. She nodded.

"Please take a seat, Mr. Mughal will be with you in a bit." She said. I turned towards the suede sofas that decorated the entrance and sat down. The lobby was quite deserted as I sat there and waited for the receptionist to call him and inform him of my arrival. I turned to look at the reception who was watching me with remorse.

"Mr. Mughal is ready for you now, Miss Alisha." She said a few minutes later. I nodded curtly and stood up. She indicated the door to the left which was his office. I quickened my steps as I reached his office door, knocked and opened it.

"Alisha!" Anis exclaimed as I stepped inside. I closed the door and turned towards him, my lips stretched in a smile.

Greeting him, I walked inside and took a seat in front of his desk.

"Your receptionist has some issues with me. She was staring at me as if she's never seen anyone." I commented.

"She's new here so she doesn't know. I'll replace her, don't worry." Anis said.

"No! You don't have to do that. It's fine." I said and gave him a small smile. Anis faced me and looked at me closely.

"So, what has you worried so much that you had to see me first thing in the morning?" Anis asked, looking at me closely. He knew me better than I knew myself.

"Umm.. I just wanted to see you before going to work." I tried to earn more time through small talk. Anis smiled at me and stood up from his seat. He stood in front of me and took my hands in his.

"You know, Alisha, I know when you are worried. You start pursing your lips and wringing your hands together like you are doing now. Moreover, I can read your emotions through your eyes and right now your eyes are clouded, indicating something is on your mind." He finished. I looked at him awe and wonder. He could read so much from me just by looking at me.

"Anis!" I breathed his name sharply. I didn't know how to approach the topic with him.

"Yes, I'm listening!" he said with a soft smile on his face.