Chapter 6

Sadaf

We landed in Pakistan around midnight the next day. It took us time to get the plane tickets and pack up before we could come back. All I wanted was to get to the hospital and to my childhood best friend and sister. I impatiently waited for our luggage near the baggage claim, tapping my foot near the belt. Shahmir stood at a distance from me, ready to pick up the luggage as soon as it came through the belt. Impatient, I took out my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and checked my messages. There were a few from Sarah, Aliza's secretary. I dialed her number and turned away from baggage claim.

After greeting her, I asked.

"How is everything Sarah?"

"Not good, Sadaf. The office is in uproar because of Aliza's condition and they've been questioning me for what happens now. They need directions from me and I've been trying to contact you." Sarah said. It was evident from her voice that she was under stress and trying to hold everything at bay.

"I just landed in Islamabad. I'm getting the baggage and going to the hospital to see Aliza first and then I'll come over to the office with Shahmir and set things right. Don't worry."

"Sure. Aliza's office and the entire floor had burned before they got to her. I'm having some workmen here tomorrow to start working on the repairs."

"Alright. Buzz me if you need any help and I'll try to get there as soon as possible."

I had walked towards the other end of the airport, from where the International Arrivals were located, while talking to Sarah. There were people coming out of the International Arrivals as some flights had just landed. I stopped at the small tuck shop and took out my wallet. I was really thirsty so I need a bottle of water. The weather in Islamabad was warm, a bit humid but that was okay.

"Can I have a small bottle of water?" I asked the salesperson. He nodded and turned towards the refrigerator which had coca cola logo printed all over it on a red background. I was paying for the bottle when a familiar voice stopped me.

"Can I have Marlboro Light cigarettes?" The voice said. I had heard it only once before and I could easily recognize. I turned towards him and smiled.

"What a pleasant surprise, Anis!"

"Sadaf! How are you?"

We exchanged greetings and smiled at each other.

"I'm good. How have you been? Long time, eh?"

"Indeed, it's been a long time. I left for Germany right after that meeting. I returned today, that's how I'm here." He said, grinning at me.

"Wow!"

"What about you?"

"Well, Haashir and I were on our honeymoon but we had to cut it short because of an emergency."

"That's sad. Is everything alright?" He asked, concern evident on his face.

I shook my head. He patted my shoulder.

"Don't worry, Sadaf. Allah is with us."

"Thank you, Anis."

"How's everyone else? Ammar? Aliza?"

"Everyone is well." I said, hiding the fact that Aliza was in the hospital, burnt. "Well, I should be back at the baggage claim otherwise Shahmir will be pissed off." I said, laughing. "Oh, by the way, give me your number. We should definitely meet up once things settle down."

"Surely." He said and dictated the number. I punched it in my cell phone and saved it.

"Bye." I waved and made my way back towards the baggage claim area. Shahmir stood there with our baggage, exasperated.