Chapter 17

Alisha

I looked at my appearance in the mirror one last time. I looked better than before, now that the color had returned to my face. Satisfied with how I look, I picked up my handbag and car keys as I came downstairs. Mom and dad were sitting at the breakfast table, dad hidden behind the newspaper as usual and mom was spreading butter on a slice for me, as usual. This was a normal routine at my home when all three of us had breakfast in the morning. This was the only time that we were all together at the dining table.

I greeted them and drew my chair back, placing my bag at my feet while I accepted the toast and tea from mom. I was famished. This was my usual breakfast, buttered slice of toast and tea. Just for change, I sometimes opted for cereals but buttered toast and tea was my signature breakfast. I quickly gulped the toast with tea and then kissed my mom and dad goodbye.

"I'm off to work, mom! Dad! I will be home late." I told them, while picking up the bag and deciding to head out.

"Be safe." They said and then waved my goodbye. I walked towards my car which was parked behind dads Corolla but another car drew my attention in the driveway. There was no mistaking the Mercedes Benz that stood in the driveway, blocking my way. Anis was leaning against the hood, flashing me his 1000 watts smile as I turned around and faced him. I smiled in spite of myself.

"What are you doing here, Anis?" I asked, while a smile spread my face. Meeting him early morning was amazing. He was looking extremely handsome in a charcoal grey tuxedo, his hair styled in his windblown style as usual and his eyes shone in the sunlight. He had removed his sunglasses and was holding them in his left hand while his feet were crossed at the ankles.

"What do you supposed I would be doing here?" he countered my question, his laughing eyes challenging me. I knew what he was doing here but I wanted to hear from him.

"Well... who knows...!" I said playfully.

"I came here to abduct a princess." He emphasized on the word, princess.

"Oh..!" I said and feigned to look around him for his so-called princess. "Where is she then?"

"She's right in front of me." Those six simple words made my breath catch as he referred to me.

"I'm no princess, my friend. I guess you need to get your eye sight checked real badly." I commented.

"No, princess, my eye sight is perfect. That's what my ophthalmologist says." He retorted, challenging me into countering him with another contradiction. I liked this sword play between us.

"Well, then your ophthalmologist needs to question his own capabilities." I replied, flashing him a huge smile and then I laughed loudly.

"Perhaps!" He agreed with me and I raised an eyebrow.

"You accepted defeat so soon, Anis? You are no fun. " I asked, with laughter in my voice. I pouted on the last part.

"When it comes to you, princess, I will always accept defeat." His voice and the way he said words made my breath catch and warmth swept all over me. Is he flirting with me? I wondered.

Is that so? I asked myself.

"As I said before, I'm not a princess. I'm more of an ugly duckling."

"No! You're not ugly at all. You're my beastie princess like Aurora in Maleficient."

"How can you say that?" I asked.

"You just have to see yourself through my eyes."

"Dude, you've got a way with words and that tells me a lot about your flirtatious nature." I smiled good-naturedly and stepped towards my car.