Chapter 45

I yawned widely and rubbed my eyes as I walked into the kitchen. It was only nine am but my house was in chaos. Guests lazed all around, some were in the dining room having breakfast, some were watching the news on television, children ran from one room to another, making noise. Whichever way I turned, I saw chaos and noise. I entered the kitchen and saw our male-servant, Saleem, pouring tea in numerous cups. Greeting him, I dropped in a chair and turned to him.

"Please make me a cup of coffee, Saleem bhai!" I said as I tried to untangle my tangled hair. Bhai meant brother in Urdu. Since I was four, I had been calling him bhai although I was almost twenty-five now. The elderly servant beamed at me and brought my mug of coffee forward.

"Here is your coffee, Alisha bibi, I had it prepared for you before you woke up. Would you like some toast or croissants with your coffee?" he asked. I smiled at him.

"Croissants with be wonderful. Thank you Saleem bhai!" The elderly servant smiled in a fatherly way and brought croissants for me. He returned to pouring tea in the cups and I picked up my phone to check my emails. There were no calls or messages from Anis. I had spoken to him two days ago, right after the mayun ceremony but after that, I had been so busy with the preparations that I couldn't talk to him and of course, you couldn't talk to your special someone when your best friend hides your cell phone.

Well, today I was going to see him. Today was the start of our wedding, the Henna function as well as our Nikkah. As was decided, the Nikkah would talk place with the Henna ceremony. Tonight would be the night when I will tie myself to Anis forever. A warmth spread through me as I thought about that. In just two years, my life had taken a one-eighty degree turn. Graduation, business, accident, and then Anis happened to me. I couldn't be luckier than I already am. I've repeatedly heard my elders say that when God closes one door for you, he open numerous others. I couldn't agree less. On the hospital bed, I'd lost my beauty and confidence but I'd found something else, something we call love.

Never once in these last six months had Anis winced at my appearance or made me feel as if I had flaws. In fact, even before our feelings were attached, he literally kissed the ground I stepped on. I smiled as the memory of the cruise came to my mind. He had gone overboard with all the decorations, the setting and the dinner that night. He'd completely overwhelmed my senses and swept me off my feet.

"So, this is your hideout!" A voice spoke from behind me. I quickly jumped from my seat and turned around.

"Maira!" I exclaimed and hugged her tightly.

"Yeah! All the noise and chaos out there was getting to me. Come, have a seat." I invited her to sit beside me. She pulled a chair back and sat down.

"My place is worse!" I grinned as Maira said. "I hardly know most of my cousins and they ogle me like "She's grown up, wow!" or there are aunties like "Why isn't she married?" I was so tired of them, I wanted to get away."

I laughed at her mimicry. Turning towards Saleem bhai, I asked him to bring refreshments for Maira.

"Things are worst here, don't worry, Maira. You haven't seen it all yet. I have been scrutinized, commented upon and even some of the guests were even blunt enough to bring up this." I pointed to my left cheek.

"They are sick!" Maira stated and we both burst in laughter.

"Well, mom saved me from all the trouble by sending me here." Maira said. Unhooking her clutch, she took out a small bag and handed it over to me.

"Mom asked me to tell you to wear this tonight. It's a family heirloom and all brides in our family wear it on their Nikkah so as it's your Nikkah today, mom sent this so that you could wear it." I stretched the elastic of the bag and emptied the contents on the table.