Chapter 34

"Here we are!" Shahmir said as he stopped the car outside my home. It was so good to be back home. I'd missed my parents so much. Due to the time difference, I hadn't been able to talk to them properly. I could almost expect the look of surprise on their face when I will enter my home, surprising them. Turning towards Sadaf, I smiled genuinely.

"I'll see you tomorrow then. Right now, I just want to meet my parents. It seems so long since I've talked to them."

"Sure. We'll see you tomorrow, Alisha." Shahmir said, a brotherly smile on his face. I bid them goodbye and jumped out of the car.

Home Sweet Home.

I unlocked the gate from the outside, and entered. The lawns were still pruned like I'd left them three weeks ago. I quickly scaled the driveway, with my bag, dragging behind me and knocked on the front door. I knew for a fact that it would be locked because my mom was always worried about safety and she wouldn't have let it stay open.

Five minutes later, the door opened and mom stood in front of me. A 100 watt smile lit her face as she saw me and then hugged me in the jaw-breaking hug. She kissed my cheeks as she hugged me and I wrapped my arms around her torso. I had missed her dearly.

"Alisha! When did you reach Pakistan? Why didn't you tell us you were coming? We would've come to pick you up from the airport." Mom bombarded me with questions as she ushered me inside the foyer and locked the door.

"Let her catch her breath, Shagufta, you always bombard her with question." Dad stood at the entrance to the dining room, beaming at me. I quickly ran to him and hugged him. Although I was almost twenty-five now, I was still a little girl for my dad and I never acted like I wasn't one. Dad kissed me on the forehead and then hugged me tightly.

"I've missed you, my princess." He whispered in my ear.

"I missed you as well." I said, breaking apart from him and beaming at him.

We walked to the lounge together. I knew that mom and dad must be wondering how I'd come home so abruptly and without any news. I took my fair couch by the window and stretched my legs, relaxing them. It was so good to be back home and with your parents. I had missed them gravely.

"So, tell us now, why didn't you tell us that you were coming?" Dad asked me this time.

"Well, Anis still has work pending in Toronto, as far as I know, but we received a phone call this morning that his father had a heart attack and is hospitalized. We left everything like it was and flew back."

"Oh no! Is his dad alright now?" Mom asked.

"I don't know. I dropped him off to Shifa as soon as we landed. I'll call him in a while, he needs time with his family."

"Do let us know if he needs any help." Dad said, looking meaningfully at my mom. I didn't understand the exchange between them.

"I hope his dad gets well soon. He was really very worried." I said.

"We should visit him in the hospital, Shagufta." Dad said to mom. I looked at him with shock. Why would they be visiting Anis's dad in the hospital? They hard know him.

"We will once Alisha talks to Anis and inquires about his condition." Mom said and went into the kitchen.

"Dad, what was all that about? You hardly know his parents."

"Yeah but I think it's a good idea to go and see him. After all, Anis is a good of yours now." Dad said.

"Well, maybe but there is something peculiar in your behavior." I commented. He just looked at me for the longest time. Mom returned from the kitchen, with some coffee and snacks for me.