Muggle London: Part One

The air outside was bitterly cold; it had been all holiday. That's why I had spent my days in bed, curled under my comforter, reading and catching up on work.  That and the fact that I just couldn't be bothered to do anything else. It's not like I have hobbies or anything, sport isn't my thing, it doesn't matter how many times I tell myself I'm practically an athlete I'm still out of breath everything time I have to walk down the stairs. Who needs exercise when they can just zap yourself everywhere, is what I say.

My parents had been divulging in my magical skills all week. They are still completely fascinated by what I can do and anything that could be done by magic, was now done by magic. Obviously, much to my sisters disapproval.

There was frost dripping off a tree above me, landing on my head, I wiped it off with a gloved hand. "I can't believe that you guys actually showed up at my house. You came all the way down to London..." I trailed off. Hang on. "Wait!" I exclaimed, turning to Remus, who was blowing on his hands. "How did you even know where I live?"

He chuckled. "Let's just say that your friends Mel was more than happy to give James your address once he asked."

I glanced at James and he shrugged.

That little traitor, I thought, she's so gonna get it!

Sirius bounced up and down of his feet, his long hair ruffling in the wind. "So," he said. "What do you do for fun around here?"

I frowned. That's a pretty good question.

"Well," I thought for a moment. What can we do on a cold day like this? "I guess we could go bowling or to the cinema or something."

After rattling of the short list, I glanced up at the boys before me to see that they looked as confused as if I'd told them that we could go and rid a monkey. That's when it hit me, they were brought up by wizards and witches, which means...

"You have no idea what they are, do you?" I asked, suppressing a giggle.

James grunted. "Erm, does bowling involve a bowl?" He asked slowly, glancing at the others for confirmation.

Sirius nodded. "Must do, mate," he replied. "It's called bowling."

Oh, this is going to be fun.

***

"Why couldn't we just Apparate?" Peter asked me for the fifth time.

We were standing on the London Underground. I had my hand grasping the bar above me as though my life depended on it. The boys mimicked me, however they didn't quite understand the reason why they were doing it, so when the train came to a shuddering stop, they all flung into me.

I pushed them off me with a groan, then turned to Peter with a frown. "I told you," I repeated. "We're having a day in Muggle London and this is how muggles travel."

James took his hand off the bar carefully to run a hand through his hair. "But why?" He asked. "It's so slow." He sounded like a moaning little boy.

It's kinda cute, I thought.

He did look pretty cute today. He was in muggle clothes; jeans and an adorable dark blue sweater that made him look pretty huggable. His checks were red from the cold, hair more rumpled than ever, and he kept biting his lip like he was nervous about something.

"-not very far from here, right Lily?"

I jumped out off my daze and blinked a couple of times, focusing on Remus' voice. "Huh?" I asked.

He gave me this smile that made me feel like he knew more about what I was thinking than I want him too.

"I said," he smirked. "Once we get off this the bowling won't be very far from here, will it?"