No Pun Intended

This chapter is dedicated to sherlockdoctordean and JilyPotterOblivion for their totally awesome names and for being the first people that pop up in my notifications when I post a new chapter. Thank you so much for your support, I hope you enjoy this chapter, I'd love to hear what you think!

***

The Christmas holidays had fast approached. The students were lavishing up all the last moments with their friends and goodbyes.

We had a single lesson left until we were able to leave on the Hogwarts express, a fortnight of time with family. I have to say that I was looking forward to it. I was constantly worried about my parents, even though I had been sending them letters weekly, I felt like I needed to be reassured by seeing them again.

Professor Slughorn paced back and fourth with a bright smile on his face, beaming as he looked at all of us; he was by far my favourite teacher. Even though he could be over attentive to his favourite students, and having favourite students was of course another disadvantage to his personality, he was still a happy and bubbly man. I have to admit that his liking to me probably influences my liking for him too.

Then, of course, I am very good at potions.

"For the last lesson of the term," he said, "we will be brewing a Everlasting Elixir, which I will be giving you all a small vial of for a little Christmas Present!" He said this with such excitement that even the class began to whisper with an equal amount of excitement with their friends.

I frowned, raising my hand. Slughorn immediately pointed to me with a smile. "Yes, Lily dear," he said.

"Well, Professor," I said with a small amount of uncertainty. "Aren't the effects of the Everlasting Potion just that it doesn't run out?"

"Yes, yes," he said brushing my words off as the rest of the class groaned . "But it's very fascinating to watch!"

He placed the ingredients on the board and I began to get to work.

After a few minutes of working, while adding a frogs leg into my cauldron and stirring it twice right and once left, I felt something hit me sharply on the head.

I let out a little, "ouch" and looked down to see an enchanted paper airplane sitting on my desk, having just missed the cauldron. Unfolding it, I read,

Oi, Ginge! Your head looks like it's on fire ;) -J

I glanced around the room. Everyone seems to be absorbed in their work, everyone except for James as I expected , who was glancing up at me every now and then with a smirk on his head.

Turning back to the paper, I scribbled.

Call me Ginge again, Potter, and you'll be on fire! -L

Quietly, I did the incantation to send the paper back. When it smacked him over the head, I let out a little laugh. A few minutes later, another note landed in front of me.

Your hot when your angry, I'm gonna miss that over the holiday -J

But for some reason, I felt a small smile form on my face at that thought, but wiped it off with my next words.

Really, "hot"? I think we've just discovered what would happen if you referred to my hair colour again. -L

No pun intended. -J

With a little smile, I placed the note in my pocket. Over the years, a large collection of notes between me and James have built up. For some reason, I always felt the need to keep them, like they signified my hatred for him and his annoyance to me.