Unlucky

I do not own these character or the Harry Potter world. They belong to JK Rowling. Thanks.

The holidays was drawing to an end and I was regretting the fact that it lacked interesting things to say about it. With only one week left, the most interesting thing that occurred was the power cut on the second week that left us in darkness.

My Mother had given me permission, much to Petunia's distress, for me to use magic to light up the room and give us some heat as it was a particularly cold night for summer. This was the first summer, and the first time, that I had been allowed to use magic around the house and I had amazed my family when I had lit the room up with a spell.

Unfortunately, other than that, my summer had been sadly uneventful. I was beginning to feel lonely. I knew that I had my parents but most of the time they were working and my sister didn't talk to me these days. It wasn't like I had any friends that lived anywhere near me; most of the wizarding community lived in a cluster in small villages and all of my friends from primary school wouldn't even recognise me anymore, it's not like I spend much time at home to see them.

Honestly, I missed the company of other Witches and Wizards. As far as I knew, I was the only magical being in my tiny village and I longed for the feel of my wand in my hand surrounded by others of my kind.

The only entertainment I had right now was muggle television; the News to be precise. A women sat stern face at a desk and was reading out today's news. It seemed pretty uneventful. "The Royal Family hope to visit the Hospital for young children, football fans are going crazy over last nights score and now for some breaking news.

"Three women were killed last night by means unknown to the police," I looked up at the screen in shock, it couldn't be possible, could it? "Doctors claim that there are not bullet or stab wounds and they were perfectly healthy when they passed. A spokes women claimed that 'they were doing all they could to discover the cause of death' but right now it seems like they have turned up nothing. The family-"

I blinked at the screen and turned to grab my copy of today's Daily Prophet of the coffee table. There, on the front page, was the words

MUGGLES MURDERED BY MEANS OF KILLING CURSE

I gasped and began to read the article;

"The Ministry of Magic is in outrage after the discovery of the death of three muggle women last night. They were killed by means of killing curse, an Unforgivable Curse, clearly illegal.

The Minister claims that this is the only attack that they have witnessed and that he will personally be hunting down the killer. We can only hope that this is a one off. However, the Ministry do warn citizens to carry a wand with them at all times."

I couldn't believe it, the muggle world getting mixed with mine. I didn't seem possible.

I threw the paper back down and shuffled through the letters I had already read. There were many from Melody as she was in Spain with her family, so even though I could apparate now, I couldn't see her and one I hadn't opened yet.

My letter from Hogwarts had only just come. My owl Tess had arrive a minute or so earlier carrying it in her beak.

Now, not being able to wait any longer, I sat forward on my sofa and tore it apart. I was looking forward to a trip to Diagon Alley. I was hoping I would see some people I knew. In the envelope was a letter containing a list of books I would need and equipment.

I shuffled on the sofa as something sharp jabbed into my back and looked down to see something shinny. I picked it up in confusion and turned it over.