It's Not A Coincidence

We were all walking outside, by the lake, out in the morning summer air. I had pulled my hair up into a bun to keep my neck from getting sticky and I stuck a pencil through it to keep it steady.

Our plans had been to go to the Great Hall, but it was so warm outside that we decided to skip breakfast (my stomach is still complaining) and Peter had run down to the Hall to get all our new time tables.  When he got back he hunched over, huffing for breath, red in the face.

James plopped down in front of a large tree that I've seen him sit in front of before, playing with a snitch. He grabbed my waist and pulled me down with him, placing me in front of him, between his legs, so I leant against his back.

Sirius gave a wary look. "I'm cool with the whole relationship thing," he threw himself down near us, "but don't get all soppy on me because then I'll have to do something about it."

Remus rolled his eyes and sat down too, with Peter. I watched him, trying to look for signs. Sure, I'd studied werewolves and I wrote a three page essay on them once, but noticing it in a friend didn't seem possible, especially one that I haven't noticed it in for years.

"I think it's adorable," he said in a moving voice and then paused, looking past me to James. "But Prongs, you one of my best friends and all, but if you hurt Lily I will personally break your jaw."

I giggled and realised that it didn't matter, did it? He was still the funny, caring, friend that I've always known. I had to tell him in knew, not telling him made me feel like I was betraying him or was disgusted by it.

James pulled me closer and said, "Merlin, protect me, Lily!"

I turned to look at him. He seemed to have his smirk constantly glued to his face. I probably mirrored him. "Nope," I laughed, "I totally agree with him."

He pecked me on the cheek and I turned back around to see Sirius and Peter chasing after each other. Sirius had Peter's time table in his hand was waving it over his head, running around in circles as Peter struggles to keep up. I felt James shift behind me as he got up to join in and I felt myself smile slightly, watching them, as I realised that just a few months ago this would have completely annoyed me.

Maybe James wasn't the only one that grew up.

Remus moved to sit closer to me, also watching them. "They're not so bad once you get to know them, are they?" He said with a smile.

I shook my head. " I guess they grow on you." I glanced at him. "Very very slowly."

We both laughed at that and I decided that this was as good a time as any. "Remus?"

He was back to staring at the boys, who were now dancing around the lake, Peter very close to falling in. "Mhhmm?"

I sighed and turned to face him completely. "I heard you."

This seemed to grab his attention and he turned to face me too, crossing his legs, a confused look on his face. "What?" He asked.

"I heard what you said this morning," he still looked confused so in one big rush I said, "I heard what you said this morning about the full moon. I know you're a werewolf."

He looked horrified. He had this expression that seemed to be a mix between horror, confusion and fear. That's the one that got me the most; fear.

"I... You must have... What do you..." He looked at Sirius and James like he wanted back up and began to move away from me. I couldn't help but feel hurt. But that's when I realised, he wasn't doing it because of him, he had his hands in surrender, like he thought I was scared of him. That made me feel even worse.