How Could I Be So Blind?

"Since third year, people have been asking you on dates-"

I cut Remus off with a sharp remark. "I just told you, no ones asked me out!"

He smirked and James shuffled further into his seat, then scrapped his chair back and left the room, with the anger evident on his face.

"Ahh," Remus continued. "But that's just what you think. Like I was saying, people have been wanting to ask you out since third year, but let's just say, it wasn't easy."

Peter cut in, with a look of excitement on his face. "Yeah, because each time they were about to, they would end up in the hospital!" He laughed, gulping down his butter beer, so that there was a white line on his upper lip.

"Every time James or Snape discovered that someone was interested in you they would put a stop to it," he laughed. "The things James did to stop you from dating anyone else."

"Yeah, this one time, him and Snape locked Charlie Williams in a room and so that he couldn't ask you to go to that Hogsmeade trip with him, but he got out, so Snape had to put a binding spell on him and lock his in a broom cupboard. That guy never tried again!"

Anger bubbles within me and I could feel my cheeks heating up in a deep red. How could they do this to me? They had no right to control my life like this! To think that I could have had a boyfriend now, but I don't all because of them.

I stood up from my stool with a frown. Remus and Peter stopped laughing immediately and looked at me with a worried expression. "I have to go now," I mumbled before quickly turning and leaving the Three Broomsticks.

Cold hair hit me in an icy blast, my finger tips immediately going blue. I shoved them in my pockets in attempt to warm them up and get some blood back into my hands. Blowing my hair out of my face, I speed walked out back towards the castle.

What made Severus think that he could do this? Why would he anyway, it's ridiculous! I mean, this kind of trickery I could expect from James, but Severus was supposed to be my friend!

"Lily!" Came a voice from behind me.

I spun around to see James chasing after me through the frosty air. His glasses slipping down his nose.

"Look," he said, stopping in front of me. "What they told you-"

I cut him off. "I doesn't matter, James. It's in the past, doesn't matter." Then I turned and ran away.

***

"There is to be a Great Ball to celebrate all your achievements before the Christmas holidays," Dumbledores voice boomed through the Great Hall while people sat in great excitement.

Okay, let me rephrase that. The girls sat with the biggest smirks on their faces, giggling and whispering to their friends about what they would wear and who they would go with.

The boys, however, looked absolutely mortified by the idea; they let out a deep groan, glancing at their mates in horror of the nightmare awaiting them.

"This is for all ages and is compulsory for all students. However, why you wouldn't want to attend is completely unknown to me," he threw his arms up with a smile. "Now, eat, eat!"

The Hall burst into a cacophony of noise. Mel, who sat next to me, exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, Lily! This is going to be amazing! We will dance and there will be music and I have this most beautiful set of robes that will be just perfect." She looked at me with the biggest smile.

"Yeah," I said back slowly. "But do you remember the last time I danced? I tripped on my own feet and fell flat on my face."

She laughed. "Oh, that was sooo funny!"

"I'm sure it was for you, Mel, but for me-"

I was forced to stop, by a very large body leaned over me to face Mel. From the mane of hair, I could tell that it was non other than Sirius Black. I thought it was funny that him being so close to me had no effect on me. I mean, for most girls they would probably do anything to be in my position. I could only think of one boy that makes me go red when he was so close and-

What was I talking about again?

"I'll meet you at seven," he ordered. "Wear something pretty." Then he leaned back over me and stood up from his stool with The Marauders, who were all laughing. They walked out of the hall, but not before James turned back to glance at me with a very bizarre expression on his face. What was that all about?

I turned back to Mel who was bright red in the face and almost bouncing up and down in her seat in happiness. "Well, at least you have a date," I sighed. "I think that we both know that won't be as easy for me."

As soon as she got back to the castle, I had told Mel all about what I had found out. She had reacted a lot differently than me. She had even gone as far to say that it was adorable that James cared about who I dated so much and that it made him even hotter than before.

She rolled her eyes. "Actually, I think it's obvious that at least one person would happily go with you."

"If you mean James, then your wrong. He hasn't asked me out in about a year."

The second I said this Mel perked up. "Oh my god!" She exclaimed. "You like him, don't you?"

"No!" I yelped, my voice jumping up about five octaves. "Of course not! That would be ridiculous!"

She shrieked a little bit. "Merlin's beard! This is brilliant! Oh, we could double date and you would make such a cute couple. I have been waiting for this for ages!"

This caught me off guard. "What do you mean?"

She went slightly red and dropped her gaze. "Well, erm, people have been thinking that you are dating since last year and, you know, I kinda think it's freaking adorable!"

Frowning, I shook my head. "I don't like him. That would be stupid. He's an immature, cruel, sadistic, idiot! Strutting around thinking he's on top of the world-"

"-But, he hasn't been, Lily!" She exclaimed in exasperation. "He hasn't cursed or pranked anyone all year and he has been kind to you. His head has deflated and he hasn't been asking you out every day, has he? He's changed."

"I-"

But that can't be right, can it? I would have noticed. I have been spending so much time with him lately and I would have been aware of this. Though, now I think about it, it makes sense; I have been spending more time with him and that just shows, I wouldn't have done so if he was constantly a jerk.

I've been so blinded by the image of James Potter that I have built up over the years that I didn't notice that he had all but knocked it down.

Mel smirked. "You just think about that, Lily. Just think about it."

This is a shorter chapter, but I couldn't help but write it straight away! The next chapter is going to be a long one, so put up with me!

Thank you all so much for your dedication for sticking with me this long!

Why don't you check out one of my other books? If you like the magic aspect of this story then you might like my book Elements. Or if your here for the romance *wiggles eyebrows* then you should check out my book Unfortunate Meetings.

Thank you sooo much again!!

Comment

Vote

Fan

weliveandbreathw0rds