When There Was Me And You

INSIDE THE SCHOOL

The various students are heading to their classrooms.Troy is looking around the men's locker room, searching for his teammates, but with no luck so far. He goes a bit further and finds them all gathered around a table filled with pictures and trophies.

" 'Spider' Bill Netrine, class of '72. He was the MVP in the league championship game." Chad start saying to Troy.

"Sam Nedler, class of '02. Also known as "Sammy Slamma Jamma." Captain, MVP of the league championship team."

"The "Thunder Clap" Hap Hadden, '95. Led the Wildcats to back-to-back city championships. A legend."

Chad: Yes, legends, one and all.

"But do you think that any of these Wildcat legends became legends by getting involved in musical auditions just days before the league championships?"

"Get your head in the game!"

"No. These Wildcat legends became legends because they never took their eye off the prize." Chad said.

"Get your head in the game!" All Wildcats

"Now, who was the first sophomore ever to make starting varsity?"

"Troy!"

"So, who voted him our team captain this year?"

"Us!"

"And who is gonna get their sorry butts kicked in Friday's championship game if Troy's worried about an audition?"

"We are."

"Guys, come on. I mean, there's 12 people on this team, not just me."

"Just 12? Oh, no. I think you're forgetting about one very important 13th member of our squad." Chad receives a picture from a Wildcat behind him and hands it to Troy. It's Coach Bolton.

"My dad."

"Yes, Troy. Wildcat basketball champion, class of 1981. Champion, father, and now coach. It's a winning tradition like no other."

Troy looks at the picture and then come to the science classroom as Taylor begins on Gabriella.

"From lowly Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, to early warriors, medievel knights. All leading up to... lunkhead basketball man."

Taylor show Gabriella a poster of a basketball player with Troy's head, enlarged and superimposed on top of it. Gabriella smiles at the poster.

"Yes, our culture worshipped the aggressor throughout the ages and we end up with spoiled, overpaid, bonehead athletes who contribute little to civilization other than slam dunks and touchdowns.That is the inevitable world of Troy Bolton. But the path of the mind, the path we're on, ours is the path that has brought us these people: Eleanor Roosevelt, Frida Kahlo, Sandra Day O'Connor, Madame Curie, Jane Goodall, Oprah Winfrey and so many others who the world reveres."

"Uh, but what is? You know, I've got Kelsi waiting for me to rehearsel." Gabriella is about to leave when Taylor says.

"Gabriella!" Gabriella sits back down with a somewhat scared look.

"Troy Bolton represents one side of evolution. And our side, the side of education and accomplishment is the future of civilization!" As Taylor says this she slaps various things with her pointing stick.

"This is the side where you belong." Gabriella looks nonplussed and then back to Troy and the Wildcats.

"Guys, if you don't know that I'll put 110% of my guts into that game, then you don't know me."

"But we just thought..."

"I'll tell you what I thought. I thought that you're my friends. Win together, lose together, teammates." Chad and another classmate set up the laptop and the camera, oblivious to Troy.

"But suddenly the girl... and the singing."

"Man, I'm for the team! I've always been for the team. She's just someone I met." Unaware to Troy he is now being viewed by everyone in the science classroom, including Gabriella. From laptop screen Troy says.

"All right the singing thing is nothing. Probably just a way to keep my nerves down. I don't know. It means nothing to me. You're my guys and this is our team. Gabriella is not important. I'll forget about her, I'll forget the audition and we'll go out and get that championship. Everyone happy now?" The transmission ends as Taylor starts again

"Behold lunkhead basketball man."

Taylor fails to notice the tear that raced down Gabriella's cheek which is evident in what she says next.

"So, Gabriella, we'd love to have you for the scholastic decathlon." Again Taylor, intelligent as she is, fails to see how upset Gabriella is.

"Did you wanna grab some lunch?"

Gabriella manages a weak smile as she shakes her head at the offer.

"Well, we'll be there if you wanna come." Gabriella is heartbroken. The scene shifts back to the locker room as the ecstatic Wildcats leave the locker room with Troy.

"Wildcats!"

"Get your head in the game! Whoo! Let's go!" Gabriella is still in the classroom as she hears some commotion from the window. The Wildcats have decided to throw a celebration as Gabriella observes from the window. She sees Troy in the middle of it all.

*When There Was Me And You*

Album: High School Musical

Heyo! SONGLYRICS just got interactive. Highlight. Review: RIFF-it.
RIFF-it good.

Download "When There Was Me A..." Ringtone

Listen while you read!

It's funny when you find yourself looking from the outside.
I'm standing here but all I want is to be over there.
Why did I let myself believe miracles could happen.
'Cause now I have to pretend that I don't really care.

I thought you were my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.
A wish upon a star that's coming true.
But everybody else could tell, that I confused my feelings with the truth.
When there was me and you.

I swore I knew the melody that I heard you singing.
And when you smiled you made me feel like I could sing along.
But then you went and changed the words.
Now my heart is empty.
I'm only left with used-to-be's and once upon a song.

Now I know you're not a fairytale and dreams were meant for sleeping.
And wishes on a star just don't come true.
cause now even I can tell that I confused my feelings with the truth.
Because I liked the view, when there was me and you.

I can't believe that I could be so blind.
It's like you were floating while I was falling and I didn't mind.
Because I liked the view, oohhh, oohhh.
I thought you felt it too.
When there was me and you.