The Auditions

HALLWAY

Chad walks up to Troy, who has just closed his locker.

"Yo! What's up, man?"

"What's up?"

"Hey, so, um, the whole team's hitting the gym during free period. What do you want to have us run?"

"Uh, dude, you know what, I can't make it. I gotta catch up on some homework."

"What? Hello, it's only the second day back. I'm not even behind on homework yet. And you know, I've been behind on homework since preschool."

"That's hilarious. I'll catch you later." Troy said while Chad knows something is up.

"Homework? There's no way." Chads follows Troy to a classroom.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Just hanging."

"Good to see you."

"What's he doing?" The student shakes Chad's hand while giving Troy the distraction he needed to get away. Chad searches the room for Troy who took a different way out of the classroom and walks right past Chad who is still looking for him. Chad eventually follows Troy to a stairwell where he loses Troy completely. Troy makes his way across a outdoor area as his father spots him, butTroy manages to give Coach Bolton the slip. Troy walks though a garage and hides briefly behind a stripped chassis. Troy is seen by a mechanic. Troy walks into the auditorium through the backstage entrance wheeling a janitor's cart with a mop sticking up. Troy hides as the hopefuls for the musical file in with Ms. Darbus at the head of the group and Kelsi right behind her. Miss Darbus and Kelsi walk onto stage as Ms. Darbus addresses the small audience.

"This is where the true expression of the artist is realized. Where inner truth is revealed through the actor's journey... Was that a cell phone?" Ms. Darbus said because she can hear a bell ring. The members of the audience check themselves to see if their phone went off.

"No, ma'am. That was the warning bell." Kelsi tell Ms. Darbus.

"Ah! Those wishing to audition must understand that time is of the essence. We have many roles to cast and final callbacks will be next week." Troy has made his way to the back of the auditorium and is observing the proceedings from behind the janitor's cart as Ms. Darbus continues.

"First, you will sing a few bars and I will give you a sense of whether or not the theater is your calling. Better to hear it from me now than from your friends later. Our composer, Kelsi Nielson, will accompany you and be available for rehearsals prior to callbacks. Shall we? Well, that was just... very disturbing. Go see a counselor. Uhh. Next!" Gabriella comes up behind Troy and startles him.

"Hey! So you decided to sign up for something?" Gabriella asked Troy.

"Uh... No. You?" Troy answer Gabriella and ask her back.

"No. Um... why are you hiding behind a mop? Your friends don't know you're here, right?"

"Right." The sixth singer has pass and Ms. Darbus didn't like any of the singer.

"Um... Miss Darbus is a little... harsh."

"The Wildcat superstar's afraid?:

"No! No, I'm not afraid, I... I'm just... scared."

"Me too... usually."

:And for the lead roles of Arnold and Minnie we only have one couple signed up. Sharpay and Ryan. I think it might be useful for you to give us a sense of why we gather in this hallowed hall." As they get up to go on stage, Sharpay stops Ryan so she can go first. Ryan rolls his eyes. Troy and Gabriella take seats.