Chapter 17

Kira Palmer

The next few minutes were chaotic to say the least. Men who were sitting had jumped up from their seats and the silence from when Logan had been on the phone had disappeared. There were growls erupting throughout the room and outraged voices. I didn't exactly know why but my eyes began to tear up. I didn't even realize that Tyler had stood up.

"Quiet!" Tyler's strong voice shot through the room. The silence felt eerie for the minutes that followed.

"He has given us no choice." Tyler finally spoke. "We're declaring war." 

I didn't notice that I was holding my breath but I couldn't let it out. Call me naive but I had thought that Scott would sign the treaty. I thought that once he realized it would end in war that he would give in. Obviously that wasn't the case, he was fine with war. It was almost like this was planned for him. He knew war would be inevitable if the treaty wasn't signed and yet he still refused it.

I thought about my family. I thought about how my dad and brother would be forced to fight in the battle unless they left the pack completely. I couldn't let them fight. They had to leave their pack and join mine, they would be safer. I had to call them and tell them what was happening. They were the only thing on my mind as I made a move to leave the room forgetting the chaos. Tyler wrapped his hand around my arm with a firm painless grip.

"Where are you going?" He questioned.

"I want to go home." I told him my voice slightly breaking.

"For the last time Kira, you're not going back to your pack." Tyler growled and we gained an audience.

"I didn't mean to my pack," I rolled my eyes, "I want to go back to the house."

I know I must have been seeing things but I could have sworn I saw Tyler's cheeks gain a pinkish tint.

"Oh." Tyler released my arm and rubbed the back of his neck. "Wait for John so he can walk you, he'll be here in a few minutes."

I nodded and watched as he began to walk back to the group of men.

"Tyler." I called causing him to turn around. He looked at me curiously but I didn't say anything. I walked towards him quickly and threw my arms around his neck burying my head into his chest.

It took him a second to react but his arms wrapped around my waist tightly. "Are you alright?" Tyler whispered running his hand through my hair. I could hear the worry in his tone and a couple of tears I had been holding back began to fall.

"I really didn't think it would come to this." My voice was muffled due to the fact that I refused to move my head away from his chest.

"Kira," Tyler tried, "I thought you were ok with this?"

I lifted my head to look at him. His eyebrows were furrowed and I could tell he was both worried and confused.

"I am." I attempted a smile. He looked like he was about to say something but I saw his eyes travel behind me.

"John's here." He told me. I untangled myself from him and wiped my face.

"I have to finish up here but I'll be home in a little ok?" Tyler seemed reluctant to let me leave him.

"Ok." I replied as he kissed my forehead.

I turned to see John standing against the door with his arms crossed. I silently hoped that he wouldn't be able to tell I had cried.

"I was happy that I would have a day away from you." John stated but I could tell it was a joke.

"Sorry to disappoint." I smiled brushing past him and out the door. We walked in a comfortable silence for a minute or two before I decided to break it.