Chapter One

The sound of the blaring alarm filled the room, signalling to Emil that it was time to stop trying to sleep. He whacked it to make it stop, it didn't matter if he broke it or not, it was his last day on earth. He sighed and buried his face into the pillow - today was the day he would set his brother free.

With his eyes groggy with sleep, he eventually dragged himself out of bed and met the cool morning air. One, two, three hours sleep, he counted. Goosebumps and shivers rippled through his body, but he didn't seem to take notice. Lukas was already in the kitchen, sipping some coffee and reading a book written in Norwegian.

"Morning," Lukas mumbled softly. Emil didn't hear anything, it was like he was in this bubble, where everything happening around him was silent and didn't matter, luckily Lukas wasn't offended.

Breakfast was bland, it had no taste, no texture, no scent. The only reason he still ate was because it would freak Lukas out if he didn't. He knew he was getting even skinnier, he bundled himself up so it wouldn't be so noticeable, but it was getting into summer, so he couldn't get away with it very well. Although he stopped wearing short sleeves long ago.

He downed a cup of coffee, just plain strong coffee as it was the only thing that was keeping him awake these days. He left the kitchen and got ready for school while Lukas continued to read and sip coffee.

"I'm going. Bye," Emil whispered from the front door.

"See you later," Lukas called.

He closed the door regretfully, leaning back on it and letting out a long built up sigh. He trudged to school, with every step there was a bad memory that came with it.

It was the one year anniversary of his mother's death today.

He arrived at school just as the bell signalled the start of class. He stopped to take one last look at the gate and the school sign.

'Reykjavik International School'  it said. Emil had dreamed that he would one day move back to Norway with Lukas once he had learnt the language and had been accepted into a university. But the dream was only a dream, it would never come true. He was holding his brother back, taking him away from the land that he loved and forced him to be stuck on this stupid island between the Norwegian and Greenland sea.

Class started and Emil sat at his desk in the far right corner at the front, surrounded by a barricade of empty desks. It was away from everyone and close enough to the board to distract him from all of the cruel muttering and snide remarks. As the teacher began, Emil spaced out and took his mind back to some of the memories that had brought him to where he was now.

Lukas left when Emil was ten and in the six years of his absence, Emil had only gone to Norway for half a year, but that half a year was the best half year ever. Even though he could barely speak Norwegian, he loved it there and he loved spending time with his older brother. He felt that he truly belonged in Norway and that was where his heart was.

When they were little, Luka's schizophrenia was bad. He had no control over himself or the voices inside his head. His parents thought it was only an overactive imagination until it began to drive him insane. Emil remembered that sometimes when the fairies and trolls were being nice, Lukas would take him on an adventure that seemed so real. Sometimes Lukas would hurt him, but Emil always forgave him because he knew that it wasn't his fault. But what bothered him most was that Lukas hurt himself more.

When Lukas was sixteen, and Emil was eight, the adventures all of the sudden stopped. Lukas got better and he had more control, but he kept himself away from Emil because he had suddenly realised how much he had hurt him.

A year later, there was a fishing accident. Emil and his dad had gone fishing for the day, which turned out to be one of the worst days of his life. He replayed the moment of when disaster struck. Emil was having fun, climbing up the poles and nets against his father's advice when it happened.