Chapter 13: Trying

Kerr visited with Charlene. Bringing his sister proved to be the best decision that he made considering their current situation. Charlene and Elle talked about the prom which she missed. Kerr noticed how much she tried to mask her sadness as she listened to Charlene's stories. He absentmindedly touched Elle's arm to tell her not to be sad.

Elle was taken aback as Kerr was never demonstrative of his feelings...or maybe they lacked the time that others have, to be fully comfortable to each other. Kerr immediately withdrew his hand.

Charlene noticed a pile of candy wrappers in one corner of the table in the garden.

"Can I read some of your laugh notes Elle?" asked Charlene.

"Oh, I haven't done anything yet since..."

Charlene understood and felt so bad for asking that question.

"But soon you'll be creating again your love notes, right Elle?"

Elle did not reply to her question. She had tried so many times to draw but it seemed her hands have forgotten how to use them. Drawing in candy wrappers used to give her so much happiness...not anymore. But if there's one thing that she noticed today was Kerr's being very attentive to her... and this brought pain in her heart. This time, she felt her disability took over her life.

Chapter 14: Crossroad

Kerr visited Elle frequently, but something has changed in their relationship. The more Kerr became caring for Elle, the more she felt isolated and unhappy. Anger is slowly beginning to build up inside her and she's fully aware of what's happening to her. Eventually, she stopped looking forward to his visits.

Kerr on the other hand feels happier with Elle around. Elle became his responsibility for some reason that only he and Elle know. If he skipped even for just one day of not seeing her, he feels an overwhelming sense of guilt. And Elle can sense this.

That night, she phoned her Dad.

"Are you sure you want to do this Elle?"

"There's no other way except to do this Dad! I just can't go on like this anymore!"

"Alright. As long as you know what you're doing, I'll support you all the way. Do you have a timetable for this?"

"I already booked my flight for Saturday. Don't worry about picking me up in Manila. I took a connecting flight to Legaspi City... everything is already arranged. Dad don't worry about me okay?"

"Okay honey. Take care. And see you soon!"

She hang up and for the first time after her accident, she felt all her strength came back that night. She needed every ounce of it...if she wants to move forward in her life.

To be continued