Chapter 21

I woke up with a strange sensation, that I knew I didn't like. I felt like something was missing. I reached down to feel my belly, and everything felt the same as it did before.

Tyler walked in with bloodshot eyes, and a coffee in his hand.

"You're awake. I'll go get the nurse."
He turned around and walked back out.

What did I do wrong? I thought I was doing everything I could to keep this baby healthy... Did I kill my baby?

Before I let the tears fall, the nurse walked in.

"You got very lucky, Alexis. That your fiancé brought you in when he did. We were concerned that you had a miscarriage, but it just turns out that you were having an unlikely period during pregnancy. We aren't sure what the pain was, so we are going to have to keep you and do some tests. But for right now, your baby is healthy."

I let out a sob, and took a deep breath of relief.

"What am I doing wrong? I'm eating when I'm not nauseous, and I try to even then. I'm taking my vitamins, I'm going on walks. What can I do differently?"

The nurse looked at me with concern in her eyes.

"You will be ok. We will do everything we can to keep your baby safe."

*hours later, after tests*

"So Alexis, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it seems that you were pregnant with twins. And you have lost one. The baby was ectopic and too small and not getting enough nutrients, so you did have a miscarriage. It's very strange that the other one didn't as well, but it was meant to be."

He smiled at me and walked out the door.

I was at a loss for words.
I was pregnant with twins? Why didn't they know this before?

I looked over at Tyler, with a blank face. He just smiled at me.

"Babe. We're safe. We're going to have a baby." We need to start coming up with baby names? Do you want a boy or a girl? What should we do for the room theme? Oh I hope it's a boy, I can teach him to play sports!"

I blanked out my fiancé, who just kept going on and on.
I'm happy that he's happy, but what if it's not his? What if it's his brothers?
What am I going to do.

He waved his hand in front of my space bringing me back into the conversation.

I just nodded at him, and closed my eyes, falling into a deep sleep.