The Storm

It had been a week since Topaz had stabbed me. An entire week. I know it sounds crazy, but I did end up living to tell the tale. And every news reporter wanted it - not that I would tell them.

I would never give them the satisfaction.

And I looked out the window as I scribbled feverishly into my diary.

Today will be my first day back at school, without Topaz. It will be interesting, I think, because I'll be able to walk through the doors of Green River High School and feel no fear. But there will always be ghosts, she'll still follow me. Every time I walk by that classroom, I will feel the knife plunging into me and all my blood draining out.

I sighed, staring at the now rising sun.

What would I do when I got there? What happened in the past week? Would people stare at me? They'd watch me with those blank stares they always had - the robots that they were - they really didn't care about me. They just wanted something new to gossip about on a daily basis. For some reason, I had a feeling it was going to be about me.

I watched as the bus slowly drove by my house. I threw my diary onto my bed and jogged out of my room and down the stairs. It was completely insane - I didn't have to rush. My parents were driving me to school.

"Ready to go?" my mom asked. Her hair in a complete rat's nest, her eyes were wide and unblinking. How awkward.

"Yeah."

We exited the house through the garage and she got into our old and beat up minivan.

"Your father and I were thinking, well, more of asking, if you wanted to maybe transfer schools? I know that you have a boyfrien-"

"He's not my boyfriend," I stated.

"I know that you have a boyfriend but I thought that meeting new people away from that place might help you."

I rolled my eyes. Seriously, these people that were my parents had no clue. First of all, why didn't they offer that when I was actually being bullied? Secondly, since when did they give a shit?

We pulled up at the school in record time, because we beat the stupid bus. My mom frowned at me as I unbuckled my seat belt. I frowned in response, annoyed. Could she really think that I could just run away from all my problems? Then again, what did I know about my mother? Other than the fact that she had some sort of job, didn't make food, and was generally boring, I didn't know her.

I slid out of the seat, as I opened the door, and I felt the fresh morning breeze hit my face.

"Have a nice day at school, Rayne!" my mom said cheerily.

I shut the door.

Suddenly, I felt like I shouldn't have slammed the door on her. Maybe I should have given her a chance? But when I turned around, she was already gone.

And as I strolled up to the school, I found people staring at me. I bleached the front of my bangs and the front part of my hair. Maybe that was why?

I saw Drew, leaning up against the wall of the school, talking with Will and a bunch of other guys. When he saw me, most of the other guys looked to see what he was staring at. Then they were all staring at me.

Awkward.

I continued, walking past them and straight up the stairs.

"Rayne!"

"Whaaaa- oh hey, Vic!" I smiled at him, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm better, what about you? I heard about the whole... yeah. Are you going to be okay?"