The Fog

• Dedicated to Victims Of Bullying

I woke up, dreading the day ahead of me. How could I be forced to go to school every day with the constant fear of being hurt by my so-called sister. Somehow, she was related to me. She changed her last name, so most people didn’t know we were related. Aside from our eyes, you’d never know we were from the same parents. The same parents that always sided with her.

They never questioned the bruises, the scars, the tears. They just said the same thing every single day, “Oh, It’s just high school. That’s the way it is.”

Scrubbing my eyes, the makeup flaked off my face. What a beautiful way to start this awesome Thursday.

“Get down stairs Rayne, you’re going to miss the bus!” my mother screamed in her stupid high-pitched voice.

When would she ever get that I wanted to miss the bus? I slipped out of my pajamas and into a pair of white skinny jeans and my favorite Asking Alexandria shirt. I slipped on my favorite Stilettos and chuckled. At least fashion made me feel better.

I pranced down the stairs, not bothering to brush my hair or teeth. I threw a mint in my mouth, praying for the best. I didn’t have time to do anything.  My backpack was already on my shoulder and I walked out the front door. Now what would happen? Maybe someone would notice that I didn’t look anything like the girl they used to know. But it was unlikely. I would be mocked. If it wasn’t my outfit, it was my hair, if it wasn’t my hair, it was my personality.

I inhaled and exhaled.

It wasn’t fair. My sister drove to school every day and I was forced to take the gigantic yellow beast that never brought me to school on time. I sighed as it stopped right in front of me. I clicked my heels up the steps of the old school bus, smiling slightly at the driver. I mean, the bus driver was always nice to me. The people on the bus? Not so much.

I slid into the first seat on the left, next to my best friend.

“Hey Rayne,” he smiled, making my heart flutter, “I like your heels today. They’re sexy.”

“Thanks, Xander,” I grinned, “So did you get that project finished?” I practically screamed over all the noise on the bus.

I was one of the last people on the bus and that could be a good thing or a bad thing. The good thing about it was that the ride was always short either way. The bad thing was that it was always difficult to find a seat in the morning... And there was no way in hell I ever wanted to sit alone on that bus... after last week's incident.

“Yes, no thanks to you!”

“It’s not my fault that you picked up your phone and decided to talk to me.”

He rolled his eyes, “I didn’t know a picking up the phone was such a commitment.”

I laughed. At least he always knew how to get me to laugh. I was so lucky to have a friend like Xander. He was the one person who would never judge me by my looks. He would always stick up for me. He was always there for me. Something landed in my hair but I didn’t need to look to know what it was. Xander leaned over and picked it out of the rats nest, sighing quietly.

“When are you going to tell someone about this?”

I looked down at my hands. When was I? I didn’t even have an answer for that question.

“That’s what you get you slut!” I heard a voice taunt me and laughter filled up the bus.

The bus stopped again. And I had to get my mind off of people being annoying - Who likes constantly annoying people? They are like gigantic zits on your face. I have never met a person who likes zits, so... annoying people equal zits.