The Mist

My bed had never felt so soft. In all the times I needed it most, it never felt so good to just lay there, staring at the ceiling. It was almost like... when you go on a really long trip and don’t sleep at all. When you get back, you just hit the hay, and wake up feeling like a million bucks.

Anyways, I opened my eyes to my dad, with his dull green eyes, his snow white hair, just staring at me.

“Did you get into another fight?”

I shrugged. My arms hurt.

He cleared his throat, “There was a boy here to see you. I sent him home. He beat you up, didn’t he?” His hands ran feverishly over his pant legs, almost as if he were worried or something. He was probably late for a meeting.

I shook my head, no, but he didn’t believe it. I didn’t either.

“Ah, huh. Well, I have to get going to work,” he said. The door to my room slammed and then I was alone.

Loving parents. When do you ever find those?

My mind was in a different place though. Why did he do this to me again? Why did he hurt me like this?

I sighed and stepped out of my bed, walking over to my mirror. As my eyes scanned my body, I noticed something. I could barely recognize my body as my own. I had bruises all over my stomach, where no one would see them. Luckily, there weren’t any bruises on my face. Thank God.

At least Drew tried, I laughed darkly, that sick bastard.

But for some reason, I felt like, there was something more to him. When he was talking to me in the library, I knew that he was telling the truth. He was doing it to protect his own brother.

The mirror didn’t lie - I looked horrible.

I couldn’t imagine what his brother’s secret was. What he has tried so hard to protect.

My cell phone blared on my dresser, lighting up, and ultimately scratching every thought out of my head. The screen read “<3 BRIEEE <3”. I flipped it open and hit the read button.

You big fat turd where r u?! <3 r u alright?

I hit the call button, waiting a few seconds. First ring, second, third, fourth. And on the fifth ring, she picked up.

“Hey, where are you?”

“I’m at home.”

“Why? Did you forget?”

“Forget what?”

“It’s Saturday, you idiot. It’s SATURDAY!” I held the phone as far away from my head as I could.

“I know?”

“THE BAND! Xander’s band’s show is in TWO HOURS! Are you coming?”

I sighed, “I... uh... sure. You’re picking me up, right?”

“Totally. I’ll be there in an hour and a half.”

“Ok.”

“Don’t look like a slob. Wear some clothes.”

“I was planning on going naked!” I hung up.

I slipped out of my pajamas and into my tightest fitting purple ruffle dress. I brushed through my hair (and my teeth! Sparkly little dino teeth!) and tried to make myself look somewhat presentable. And I threw on a black belt and some big black beads, just for fun.

It was kind of useless. I just didn’t feel like looking pretty.

I slipped out of my door, looking across the hall to Topaz’s room. The moaning echoed through the empty house. It reminded me to shut my door. Just as I closed it, I heard the most horrible thing...