The Light

I arrived at school early, thanks to Brie’s mom, who drove us in this morning. The sun was shining, I had my short shorts and a black tank top on, letting my long hair do whatever it wanted to. It was a nice day and I honestly couldn’t have care less about how I looked.

“Holy shit!” Brie whispered, “Look at Drew!”

“What?” I glanced over at him. I swear, my eyes must have bugged out!

He had a nose ring that I didn’t see the night before. His skinny jeans and white muscle shirt highlighted all of his muscles, all of the tattoos that coated almost every inch of his skin, and his hair, he cut off all of his hair! It was only a few inches long with a single piece of it in the front a lighter color. It looked good. He looked good.

“Drew!” I heard Topaz’s voice, “What the fuck did you do! Where did your hair go?”

He shrugged, “Girls don’t like the long hair anymore so I switched it up.”

“You’re a moron, you know that?”

“Whatever Tope.”

I tuned out of their conversation as I ran across the school yard with Brie. The bell rang. I made it to class without being tortured.

And thankfully, Drew was the only part of the group that had a class with me. The rest were seniors. Thank God I was only a junior, and the majority of my classes were on the second floor. First floor have all the senior classes. Second floor was the junior floor, third was freshman and sophomore classes.

Aside from that, I ran up the stairs and walked to my first class, American Lit. Yeah, not exactly my favorite class, but I couldn’t complain either. I walked in the door, throwing my crap on my desk in the middle of the room.

“Rayne! I’m glad you’re here!” Mr. Wilson said as he walked up to my desk, “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” I blushed.

“Okay, good,” he half smiled, leaning on my desk, “But Rayne, if there’s something going on, just tell me okay, because I want to help you.”

I looked down at the desk, “Sure, Mr. Wilson.”

“Look,” he said in a slightly softer tone, “I know what it’s like to come to school and hate being here. I’ve never seen what has happened to you, Rayne, but I’m always watching out the window before the bell rings. Is Topaz giving you a hard time?”

“No. She’s not.”

The class room began to fill, “Okay. I’m worried for you, alright?” And none other than Drew walked in and sat directly behind me.

“Andrew! I was just about to ask you to trade seats with Kelly for today, okay?”

Drew picked up his books and moved to the desk to the left of me. The second bell rang.

“Thank you, Andrew,” Mr. Wilson gave him a slight glare, “Anyways, we’re going to be talking about Of Mice And Men today, and we’ll be starting it!”

“The band?”

“I didn’t know there was a band.”

“Dude,” Drew added, “Second and Sebring. Best song. Ever.”

Mr. Wilson shrugged. He didn’t strike me as a guy who would like that kind of music with all the screaming. Even though he looked like he was in his mid twenties, his musical taste was probably rap. Most guys think they can be rappers... don’t ask.

Anyways, Mr. Wilson scribbled something in chalk on the board.

I felt something hit my hand and land on my desk. I looked around and opened it up.