Rant: Religion

^look at that image above and tell me that is logical. -.-

This is just a thing I've been dealing with for the past few years, and it's really frustrating me. Maybe other atheists/agnostics will understand.

Religion plays a major role in the lives of billions of people. Some people will even defy laws for their religion. Especially monotheistic religions, honestly. The denominations of Abraham's religion are mostly very devout. And there are a lot of believers. Some are nicer and follow their religion on their own; some aren't and get in other people's faces to try and convert those people.

As a general rule, I hate those kinds of people.

I'm chill with religion, not counting extremists, but I get pissed when people try to convert me. Since the time that I actually started taking control of my own life and thinking for myself instead of blindly following my parents, I've classified myself as an atheist. And I've gotten soooooooo much stupid feedback.

My mom, who is a non-strict Catholic, says: "It's because you grew up and no one taught you right. Eventually when you're older you'll start having religion."

My scoutmaster, a Buddhist, told me, "Now, you may not see it, but when you are in times of trouble, when you are older, you will see you need religion in your life."

My dad, a Buddhist, said, "Eh. Whatever. Too much religion is bad anyway." (Yay!)

My grandmother, an extremely devout, almost obsessive Catholic, think's I'm a problem. My brother and I, since he's agnostic, I believe.

A 3rd-grade classmate stalked up to me on the playground one day after hearing I didn't believe in God, and stated clearly, "If you don't believe in God you're going to hell."

It's been going on over and over and over again, and I'm really getting sick of it.

I can be whatever the hell I want to be. I don't have to believe in any of your imaginary or tall tale friends. Believe in it all you want, go to all those extreme lengths, but trying to force others is really just crossing the line. First of all, I will choose whether or not I even want to have a religion. Second of all, even if I do choose to be religious, I will choose what religion to follow. I will see which appeals most to me, my beliefs, and my lifestyle, not what you think everybody should believe just because you do. Third, it seems everybody has the wrong ideas about atheists.

Let me expand on these topics.

Do I need religion at all? Honestly, no. The main reason I would see for people to need religion is for them to have hope. bad times? Pray to God, hope he helps. Believing that someone's got your back is infinitely comforting. That is, if you can't look out for yourself.

I believe that I can hope on my own. I'm strong enough to actually try to make my problems better instead of just praying. I don't need religion to get me back up on my feet. I have fandoms and friends and myself for that. Also, probably everyone's who's tried to convert me to something(especially adults, here) have told me that you need religion to guide you on the righteous path.

Problem is? I don't want to be righteous. I want to live and take risks and have fun. I have my own limits, of course, but I can set them myself. I have morals, too. Just because you don't have religion doesn't mean you're automatically a mindless killing machine. Not even close, bruh. In fact, most religious people are more violent than non-religious. Look at all the past wars of history. Most are caused by religion issues. Not saying all religious people are bloodthirsty, either; I'm just saying, atheists aren't just because they're atheist. Individuals, not groups, are violent or peaceful. I don't assume all Christians or Muslims are out to kill me; so I'd like it if people didn't think the same about atheists.