22 ➵ hoscorp

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. But here's a chapter.

Enjoy

And watch only (about) the first minute of the video on the side. Please do not hold me accountable for whatever weirdness comes after that. Lol

Please comment and vote if you want the next chapter!

ILLUSION

[chapter twenty two]

Zach's POV: Previously

"Forget it. It's not like you have much room to talk," I snapped at her. "You're sitting here talking about taking down something that your father believed in. Your dad's dead and all you care about is destroying this stupid island! You haven't even cried once!"

My mind didn't register the words I said before they left my mouth. I saw her flinch, her eyes glazing over. She looked so broken. My own shoulders slumped. I hadn't meant what I said. I was just mad that she would bring up my family. Yeah I know I seem distant, but it was better to be that way. My parents haven't had the best marriage, and with me being the oldest, I had to be the one to shelter Gray from that. I guess it made me hard.

I glanced down at Mari. Her eyes were watery and I knew she was crying. I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. I couldn't keep my mouth shut when I needed to and I could say the right thing when I'm supposed to. No wonder I'm a horrible boyfriend.

I wasted silently as Mari got up and walked over to the bed. She slid her hand in between the mattress, looking for something, before pulling out something small and black. Without saying anything to me, she made her way to the door.

"Where are you going? Mari?" I reached my hand out to grab her. I just needed her to face me so I could explain myself. Apologize.

She turned to face me, her eyes blazing. She gripe my hand tightly, pulling me off of her. Her brown eyes darkened. "Do not. Touch me," she spit, jerking away from me. I felt my heart shatter as she walked past Gray, who I didn't notice, soundlessly.

I fell back into the couch. Laying my head back, I groaned. I never remembered Kelly being this hard to deal with. With Mari, I never know what she's gonna do next. I sat up, sighing. Maybe what I said was a little harsh. Bringing up her dad? That's low. I put my head in my hands and groaned again. What was I going to do?

"What happened with Mari?" Gray asked, sitting down next to me.

"Nothing, Gray! Don't worry about it," I mumbled, running my fingers through my hair. Where was she even going?

"Sorry...."

I sighed, looking down at Gray. "No, Gray, I'm sorry. Shouldn't have blown up on you. Listen, you stay here. Imma go find Mari and apologize, ok?" I get up and head to the door. I needed to find her.

"Apologize for what? Zach, what's going on?" I heard him ask before I shut the door behind me, heading down to the lobby.

The lobby is still crowded, but with less people, most of them sleeping. I searched the floor until my eyes landed on a rapidly bobbing red head. Claire was on the phone as always. I smile as I remember what Mari had said to me.

"Oh sorry, are you talking to me? I didn't recognize you without your eyes glued to your phone," she smirked.

"There you go with the phone again," I teased, "I'm just trying to have a pleasant conversation with you, Mari, and you just have to get all jealous about my phone. I get it." I leaned in closer to her, hoping to catch her off guard. "You like me and wished I talked to you more instead of being on my phone."