14 ➵ gmo

ILLUSION

[chapter two]

SILENCE and roaring; two complete opposites, but I found myself emerged in one or the other a lot today. When one disappears, the other takes over immediately. The truck was silent again, the way it was before the velociraptors attacked. It's a back and forth pattern. Loud, then silent, silent then loud.

My head pounds when the bellowing starts and my ears ring in the silence. I have a migraine.

I pull my knees up to my chest as Owen explains what happened in the woods. He says that the velociraptors are being controlled by their new alpha, the Indominus. I saw only two of his 'raptors following us.

"What happened to the other velociraptors," I ask him. Before he speaks, I see the slightest glimmer of a tear in his eye. I know Owen is a tough man, but he really cared about those 'raptors.

"When I was running after them," he started, "Delta ran after me...she was...."

"You don't have to tell me," I whisper. I don't need to hear about it.

"She was fired upon, right in front of me." He bangs his hand on the wheel, mumbling something about InGen under his breath.

Everything that's happened today has affected us in different ways. Owen was angry, punching the steering wheel every few minutes; Claire was silent beside me, but I could hear her brain working overtime, trying to find a solution to this mess; I glanced behind me at Gray, who was staring at the wall, focusing on something; Zach sat with his head in his hands, calmly trying to wrap his brain around everything. All of these were normal reactions. But then there was me.

I felt nothing; numb. Me, the girl who lost her father, who has been attacked by not only velociraptors, but a newly created dinosaur. The girl who just had her first real kiss in the woods. Logically, I should be freaking out in the cliché, 'horror movie,' screaming my head off way. But I sit here calmer than the people around me. I might be crazy, sociopathic. All I know is that all these events make one thing clear.

InGen is to blame, and it's InGen that needs to be taken down. I slid my hand to my back pocket. I had taken out my phone out of my bag before entering the Gyrosphere and put it in my pocket, which had snaps. It was as if fate told me I'd lose it otherwise. Lucky me.... Hopefully once we get to Main Street, I'll be able to sneak into the Control Room. As planned.

*

*

Main Street was a ghost town. Its restaurants, which are usually filled with lively banter from its customers, were vacant. The street, which held the scampering feet of excited visitors for ten years, was empty.

"We need to head to the Control Room, check on the tracking devices...," Claire said sliding out of the truck and holding open the door for me. We are on our way to the Control Room, perfect.