16 ➵ breathe

Enjoy, Comment and Vote!

ILLUSION

[chapter two]

Claire's POV

Breathe in. Breathe out.

More teeth, is all I think.

My feet hurt, but I ignore the pain. The pain is the reminder of what I am running for: Gray, the most intelligent little boy I have ever meet; Zach, the one who feels the most but shows the least; and Marella, the sad visionary girl, whom I see myself in.

Owen, the one person that has came the closest to cracking my shell and getting under my skin.

This is where I get my energy from. This is where I get my strength from. Running in these heels is nothing compare to what Zach, Gray and Mari have been through today alone.

I power through for them.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex paddock is not far from Main Street. It has more teeth. It can take out the Indominus and can easily to contained afterwards.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

"I can do this," I say between gasps. I know can do this because I have to do this.

I skid to a stop, the soles of my heels scrap against the cruel concrete. I slowly raise my gaze to the large red lettering that tells me that this back entrance of the Tyrannosaurus cage. I slip off one of my heels and use it to smash the emergency glass box containing a fire extinguisher, an axe and, what I need, a flare.

I carefully grabbed the torch.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

I press the call button on the Walkie-talkie. The person I expect to answer picks up.

"Lowery, open Paddock 9," I say as calmly as I can. I am still his superior and I can't show weakness.

"P-paddock 9," he sputters, "that Paddock is to the-"

"The Tyrannosaurus Rex habitat. I know. Open it."

"But-"

"Damn it, Lowery. Do something for once in your life and open the damn doors!"

I send a threatening glare into the hidden camera were I know he's looking. I throw the walkie away from me and wait for Lowery to do what I told him.

The doors shutter awake, too drowsy to know what they are unleashing. Darkness is all that I can see down the tunnel, covering the awaiting monster. Too bad it couldn't cover me.

Its breathing sent a shiver down my spine. Another reminder.

I let one logical thought seep into my mind. If I do this, what are the odds that it'll do what I want it to? These are animals, I remember Owen saying, they have a conscience. We cannot control them. I wish I had the grasp on these animals like he does. Maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Its moving figure is outlined by the moonlight. Here it comes. I close my eyes.

Breathe in.

My muscles tighten and lock, getting ready for the run of my life. If this were any other instance, I would have smiled at that joke. Now was not the time.

I hold the flare tightly in my hand. I take off the clear cap and scape it against the flare, igniting it.

Breathe out.

I stared at where I think its eyes would be before breaking into a full sprint.

I didn't know whether the pounding in my head was the ground meeting each steep of the dinosaur chasing me or if it was my blood crashing in my heart.

Thump, thump.

My heart in my ears.

Thump, thump.

Its feet on the ground.

Run faster, my subconscious yells, push harder, it screams.

Everything is so dark that I barely notice when I round the corner. I lead the Tyrannosaurus to where the Indominus is, terrorizing my loved ones.

I grit my teeth when I see it, teeth blaring near Zach.

I run towards them, throwing the flare at the Indominus. Out of the corner of my eye I see Mari pull Zach away just in time. The Tyrannosaurus attacks the Indominus. I hurry behind an amber rock were Owen is with Gray.

I look at Owen, then back at Zach and Mari. The way she wraps her arms around him proves how much she cares for him. I glance at Owen again. Will I ever have what they already have? Or will this, whatever this is, end up like my sister and her husband?

I felt a hand placed on my shoulder, startling me. I look up and see Owen's brown eyes. They're warmer that usual. I let myself smile before he pulls me into his chest, pressing his lips to mine.

I relax into the kiss. I haven't been kissed in a while.

Gazing into his eyes, I don't hear Mari screaming at us to move before a tail knocks me backwards.

I hit the ground hard and I know I can't move. Looking up, I am face to face with Indominus. It opens its mouth and I see its uvula moving. I turn my head away.

When I open my eyes, they're locked with Owen's. I'm going to die, I think.

Thump, thump.

My heart beating in my chest.

.

.

Thump, thump, thump.

That's not my heart.

A loud roar shakes me o my core and the Indominus is knocked to the ground by the Tyrannosaurus. My pervious horror was now my savior.

It aches to move, but I manage to get up and run to Owen. I grab his face in between my hands and kiss him.

"'The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.'"

I just needed to live my life to the fullest.

I didn't know how I was going to do that exactly, with horrible dinosaurs trying to kill me, but I did know what ever life I have left, I was going to spend it with Owen.

*

Salve, pulcher homines!

LOOK, LOOK WHAT I DID. ANOTHER CHAPTER.

This is for all of you who comment asking me to update and telling me you like my story. It makes me feel like someone actually likes my writing, which is big!

Gratias Multas! (Many thanks in Latin)