Hawaii - "Washed Away"

First stop, is in the United States of America.

The country is comprised of 50 states and other territorial islands, but in this chapter I will talk about the state of Hawaii. 

When you are ready to click the next page, a story of the state of Arizona will be told.

~~

Aloha! (That means hello and goodbye in Hawaiian).

And welcome to our first trip to the beautiful archipelago of Hawaii, where my toddler memories vaguely started.  Amazing land formation I presume; I've only been to the Honolulu Airport as if that counts for anything! *Laughs*

In this story, I will be introducing the hula dance, and the water sport known as surfing to my readers. I tried demonstrating the hula dance when my business team were given a Hawaiian theme project, but didn't do so well.  (I'd rather be handing out lei's to welcome my readers!)

The Hula or Hawaii's Indigenous dances are known as a way of telling an oral story.  It was a way for elders to hand down to the younger generation about their traditions and custom.  The dance is accompanied by a chant, or mele.  Women sway their hips gradually in a swift manner, and move their hands as if 'it' were the ones talking.

[If you actually want to see a hula dancer I attached a picture of one above]

But now I'd like to say 'Hang Tan' dudes and dudettes!  We're off to (virtually) surfing the 'net'!

I'd like to share with you an ancient [pehuehue] surf-coaxing chant heard from the islands, which was collected by historian Abraham Fornander.  He translated the words into the English format, so I will provide both parts for my readers.

Hawaiian Translation

Ku mai! Ku mai! Ka nalu nui mai

Kahiki mai,

Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue,

Hu! Kaikoo loa.

~~

English Translation

Arise, arise, the great waves from Kahiki,

The powerful curling waves,

Arise from the chant.

Swell up, long raging surf.

Surfing is a sport, where one who is brave enough to tackle this activity, would stand up straight and keep his or her balance upon a surfboard that floats on the crest of a wave toward the shore.

Today, it is a sort of relaxation or hobby that many have attempted in different parts of the world.  In addition to this, there are yearly contests held for the best surfers.

Women have also been allowed to take part in this sport, as males used to be the predominant players of this activity in ancient times.  And as your author, I say hurray for all the women who have tackled this!

I have incorporated a short story where a girl tries to prove to her male counterpart that she could tackle both activities at once.  But in the end, she realizes her mistake.

So, without further ado – here is my short story entitled "Washed Away".

~~

Near the coast line of the island of Kauai, was a specific area designated for women of all ages who were taught the hula dance, and they also learned the traditional ways of the land.  The Hula was a way for them to release the tensions of their troubled minds, for the music took them to a place where the mind was free to roam.