Mexico - "Family Traditions"

When I think about places such as Mexico, I tend to think about its rich history, such as of the Olmec and Mayan civilizations; the famous cultural native dances such as the Mexican Hat Dance; and of course, the many holidays they celebrate such as Halloween, the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) and All Saint's Day.

But what is most interesting for me to ponder about are the tropical fruits found all over the world! And one of these fruits that grows in this land happens to be the sweet papaya.

The papaya is indigenous to Southern Mexico, but it can now be present in every tropical and subtropical country. When it is sliced in half, an unusual foul smell forms, and you can see its numerous black seeds. It is a slippery fruit once you hold it, but even though it has a strong acid flavor, it is quite sweet once it ripens. 

So, please don't let the smell fool you!  Many times I refused to eat it, but have heard that it is healthy for us.

If anyone is brave enough to try it, "just pinch your nose, and eat it!" LOL! It doesn't hurt!

Below is the short story for this chapter.  It is a tale where readers can learn that even though we cannot always have the perfect life, there must be one consistent line that still holds all of us together. Whether it is a person, place or item, it will always bring you back to happiness.

"Family traditions"

Loud music could be heard in the background, while children and teenagers danced on the streets to celebrate New Year's Day.

Earlier, there were fiestas and barbecues held to commemorate the holiday. However, most of the families started to clean up and take their outdoor tables inside since the crying babies were now causing an uproar. Thus, those who were able to wait for the fireworks display stayed, while the others went home.

One of these families was the Navarro clan.

Juanita, a grandmother at the age of 72, foresaw that all of her family members had a wonderful time.  She was an old, yet vibrant lady of her time, and was in charge of taking care of her 'children' no matter how hard life twisted it around. Her husband, Horatio had passed away ten years ago, but Juanita remained strong even though she knew a part of her was now missing.  Both of her children had fallen hard as well as their own families crumbled up.

Juanita only had two children, Hector and Raquel, for she married late. But she allowed them to meet their distant cousins, aunts and uncles in gatherings, so the two sibling never ran out of playmates. And once Hector and Raquel had their own children, the family kin soon blossomed.  However, their lives did not end in a fairy tale ending, for after their father's death, the two siblings would find their own.

~~

Pilar, who was one of her granddaughters, frequently stayed with Juanita at night. The nine year old girl would sleep in her grandmother's house since her father wasn't always around. Pilar's father, Hector would often leave her with his mom on holidays, since he would attend parties at night.

Pilar's mother, Rosita, had consistent problems once she gave birth to her daughter, and eventually died after the childbirth. Therefore, this left Hector devastated, but he tried his best to support Pilar with the support of his mother and sister's family.  However, he started to become somber and began to drink.  Thus, Juanita was constantly worried about her son, and always asked his sister to watch over him.

Raquel married a rich man named Alberto and had two daughters named Marissa and Alicia. However, Alberto's mother, Mrs. Sanchez was not fond of her new daughter in-law, since Raquel's family was poor. Thus, Raquel and her husband often fought about their living arrangements, but once she had enough, Raquel decided to move back in with her own mother with her daughters, leaving Alberto behind.