5 years later

it was the day of the season opener and it would be the first one since I left the hawks organization. I made the decision during last years play-off run. we had won the cup after barley making the playoffs. John and I had made the decision together, my contract was up and I knew we didn't have the cap space to sign both John and I so not wanting to be traded and have our family split up I decided to retire. it was just in time since I found out not long ago I was pregnant again this time with a boy.

the organization had offered me several positions with the team but I turned them down wanting to be able to stay home with my girls since they were starting school this fall. I sat up in the box for the wives/girlfriends as the warm-ups began feeling a twinge of jealousy in my stomach as I watched my former teammates skating and joking around. 

before the national anthem played the camera panned over to me and the noise of the stadium grew. I felt a tear run down my cheek knowing I'd never play with the boys again but I knew the place I really wanted to be was with my family. the noise brought me back to the first time I stepped on the ice after the wedding, I remember the pride I felt wearing Toews on the back of my jersey. they retired my number not long ago and it now hung in the rafters.

the boys won their game 5-0 against the oilers and I quickly ran down to the dressing room to congratulate my boys. I waited outside the dressing room and some of the boys came out and hugged me and El who had Matt(6), Elizabeth(4) and Nathan(2). we still lived behind each other and always carpooled to the games together. my stomach was now showing under my jersey since I was 5 months along, not realising I had played the final series pregnant.

Skylar and Matt were inseparable while Rylie wouldn't leave Colton's side. it was nice to have our kids grow up within the hockey family. after about 45 minutes John finally came out. he walked over to Skylar and picked her up before walking over to me and placing a kiss on my lips and another on my baby bump.

Pat walked up behind us holding Matt who immediately reached out to hug Sky

"looks like we might be in-laws one day Johnny boy." Pat said

John rolled his eyes as Duncan Keith walked up slapping his back. this was my new life and I loved it.

John and I walked back to the car and I strapped the girls in their car seats before we drove home and collapsed in bed, raising a family was way more work then playing in the NHL could ever be.