Into The Palace

As they walked through the streets many curious glances were thrown their way and there was good reason for them. Boyd was still carrying Ryan, walking in his lurching way, and Dylan was throwing his flute up into the air and catching it. Edendir was so exhausted his magic was almost completely drained and so the further they got into the centre of Zarville the cleaner their clothes became. Unfortunately the others became more and more human again. 

"This way," Edendir murmured, going down yet another alley. He sank down onto the floor and sighed, raising his head to look up at the sky. Stars were beginning to twinkle on an inky blue canvas, the silver moon slowly rising. Edendir smiled slightly as he remembered staying up every night when he was young to watch the moon and note down its ever-changing colour. 

"I need a rest," the elf admitted. "That troll guy did something to me."

"Are there any hotels around here?" Boyd asked. "We could go in and-"

"No," Edendir interrupted. "We can't get a room in a hotel for a number of different reasons. One: people probably saw that fight and are looking for us. Two: we're hardly an inconspicuous bunch and people are going to be asking questions. Three: Ryan is a werewolf, meaning he will become a wolf tonight. Keeping a werewolf cooped up in a room with three other people is not a good idea. Four: I'll be recognised the second I say my name and people already know my face. Five: I haven't got any Elfin money."

"Are there any places we can shelter, then?" Boyd compromised. 

"There should be a park not far from here," Edendir said weakly. "The trees get pretty dense so that no large creatures can hide in them. We're small enough to get through the gaps and I can move some trees or something."

"Tell us the way to the park," Boyd said. "I'll carry you."

"No," Edendir said, shaking his head. "You're carrying Ryan."

"I forgot about that," Dylan said. He hit Ryan on the head with his flute and the werewolf woke up, yawning and rubbing his forehead.

"Ow," Ryan said as his fingers came into contact with a rapidly-growing lump. 

"I might have hit him a bit too hard," Dylan said sheepishly in answer to Edendir's glare.

"Right, point the way," Boyd said, scooping Edendir up and swinging him around into a piggyback. Ryan growled low in his throat and Edendir turned to tell him that everything was fine but didn't see a boy. A large black dog with glowing green eyes was stood with its four legs braced, hackles raised, snarling at Boyd.

"Werewolf," Edendir said quietly. "Put me down." 

Boyd let the elf drop and Edendir landed lightly, stumbling a little. Immediately Ryan was by his side, using his furry body to support the elf. He yipped and knocked one of Edendir's legs out from under him, forcing the elf sideways. He yipped again and grabbed Edendir's trouser leg in his teeth, pulling the elf onto his back as if Ryan were a horse.

"It looks like you've got your own transport, kid," Dylan grinned. Edendir glared at him again. 

"To the park," Boyd prompted. Edendir looked down at Ryan and then jolted forwards as the werewolf bounded forwards. Ryan had caught the scent of something and was chasing it - or maybe he was still able to recognise human words and was going to the park deliberately. Either way they ended up in a vast expanse of green grassland, bordered by trees and punctuated with paths that had benches at regular intervals. A large water feature dominated the middle clearing and everything seemed to lead off from it. Ryan, however, continued trotting happily onwards and into the trees, only going under branches that were high enough so that Edendir didn't hit his head.