Vassago

The elf spun around in panic, losing his concentration and dropping a few feet. He regained his balance and drifted to the ground, hearing the scream again.

People were looking around uncertainly and beginning to block the pavement as they turned to stare. Edendir snarled at them and forced his way through, pushing people back with his elbows and a gust of air. An animal instinct in him was telling the elf that he needed to get to the person in trouble and help somehow. Intuition was also alerting him to a supernatural presence, someone who wasn't quite there...

Edendir stuck his head from the crowd and immediately frowned. Summer was stood over a teenage girl, absolutely fine. She had yellow eyes and was growling at the girl in a tongue even Edendir didn't recognise.

"Oi!" he yelled, squeezing past two people and into the clearing that had been formed by the crowd around the girl and Summer.

"Leave her alone!"

"You," Summer hissed, lunging forwards. Edendir dodged to the side, mindful of what had happened the last time someone fought with a magical creature.

"Yes, me," Edendir said, ducking her wild grabs and sliding closer to the girl. She was hunched against the wall of the building next to her, eyes wide and hands shaking with fear.

"You should be dead!" Summer screeched, nails slashing past Edendir's head. He tripped forwards as he dodged and hit his head on the pavement. Momentarily stunned and lying prone on the ground Edendir began to panic. Summer would see her chance and then he'd end up dead.

Fingers curled around Edendir's throat and his airways became constricted. Stars popped before his eyes and his vision became blurry and tinged with red, tears of pain tumbling down his cheeks. He was dying, he was sure of it. There was no way he could throw Summer off - it was obvious she was stronger than him otherwise why would she be chosen to take him down?

Something smacked into Summer and she flipped over Edendir's head, cracking her skull on the road. Before she had a chance to re-form the girl that had been quaking with fear stamped on Summer's face, bursting her nose and smashing her head completely. She began to fade and Edendir cursed, snatching at the other elf's hands. But it was no use. She'd already been returned to Elfir meaning his location was now known.

Or was it? Where was he, anyway? The surroundings were unfamiliar were to Edendir and the people seemed hostile. It was as if he'd landed on earth for the first time all over again.

"Thanks for that," the girl said, crouching by a temporarily stunned Edendir. "Are you okay? Did she hurt you?"

"I'll live," Edendir murmured, taking the girl's offered hand of help and pulling himself upright. "Honestly, I've had worse."

"Like what?"

"Like..." Edendir sighed and shook his head. "I can't tell you. Sorry."

"Wait!" the girl cried as Edendir turned to walk away. She grabbed his hand and looked directly into her eyes. "You're Jinx, right? The one off YouTube?"

"Yeah..."

"Follow me." Still holding Edendir's hand the girl set off, weaving through the astonished crowd of people who were still stood around staring. Only seconds ago the girl had been terrified and trembling and now she was taking her rescuer away.

As he was dragged along in a place he didn't know Edendir took a moment to look at the girl he'd rescued. She had short white-blonde hair with a boyish style and yet slicked back at the same time. Her gait was steady and hurried but she seemed to saunter along with a casual ease. Her eyes were a piercing shade of blue and her slightly pointed face made her look ferret-like and sharp. The outfit she wore consisted mainly of black, silver and green, studs on her clothes and fake animal skin on her boots. She was the very image of wealth and arrogance.