A Purple Haired Time Warper

After Ryan's premature departure there was a long wait before the results were called, even longer than in the semi-finals. But with Ryan gone the elf found he had nobody to talk to, nobody to laugh with or at. Boyd was too busy panicking whilst Dylan was trying to calm him down and Dodger was doing his job. The other contestants kept on giving him jealous glares and Edendir felt isolated and alone. He walked down a different corridor to the one Ryan had teleported from and found a quiet corner to sit in. People walked past without giving Edendir a second glance as he settled into the corner, curled up with his head against the wall. 

All of a sudden time sped up. Edendir's head spun and he moaned slightly, rubbing his forehead to try and get rid of the pain. He curled up even tighter and hugged his knees to his chest, burying his face in his arms. The world was whipping by just outside of his vision and people blurred back and forth. Edendir whimpered and raised a hand to rub the back of his neck, feeling eyes prickle it despite there being a wall behind him. He lowered his hand again and felt the world slow back to its normal pace. Unfortunately for the poor elf it didn't stop there, freezing into place but thankfully losing the sickly speed.

"Ow," Edendir groaned. He raked a hand through his hair and glanced down at his watch. The hands had just slumped down onto the face, appearing to have given up on keeping in time.

The elf looked up and rested his head against the wall. He closed his eyes and then opened them again, sensing someone in front of him. The now-familiar hooded figure was sat on the floor opposite Edendir, eyes shining. Instead of raising a gloved finger to their lips like Edendir expected them to they spoke.

"Congratulations on getting through to the final, my friend."

Edendir sprang backwards and hit his head on the wall. Stars exploded before his eyes but he didn't care. He lurched to his feet and promptly fell over. The person held up their hands to stop Edendir falling on them and pushed him back down to the floor before the elf could get hurt.

"Don't try to talk," the person said. "I will ask you questions and you will answer them. Until then time is frozen."

A small whine of sadness escaped Edendir's lips. He shook his head but the person put a finger on his mouth, silencing him.

"I just want you to explain," they said softly. Edendir drew back and took a breath, beginning his tale.

*

"In approximately one week's time you will be king," Eldon said out of the blue.

Edendir's head snapped up from looking at his plate and he stared at the king in shock. "What?"

"You're going to be king," Eldon said. 

"When?" Edendir asked in panic.

"In one week."

"What?"

"You're going to be king in one week."

"Wh... why?" Edendir's brain couldn't function properly, refusing to process the information. 

"You're the prince and I am stepping down," Eldon said calmly. "You need to be king."

"I don't want to be king," Edendir blurted. Eldon's slanted eyes narrowed and he rose from his seat, towering over the long table, casting a shadow over Edendir.

"It is your destiny," Eldon growled. "You can't change it."

"But what if I could?" Edendir asked, scraping his chair backwards an inch at a time. 

"How would you do that?" Eldon laughed. The rest of his court laughed with him, more out of fear than actual amusement.

Edendir didn't want to say it but his mouth wasn't communicating with his brain. "Magic."