America's Next Top Fashion Co-Ordinator

The cool of the closest clothes shop hit Edendir like a wall, freezing him in place. Dylan had to hurriedly explain about air conditioning so that the elf didn't panic and all was well.

All around the room circular racks of clothes were bathed in golden light, spotlights providing the only means of vision. Soft music, not loud enough to be noticeable but not quiet enough to be annoying, played from hidden speakers. Wooden shelves with photographs and ornaments bedecked the oak-panelled walls and Edendir could tell that everything in the store would be very expensive. The level of class, complete with a red carpet carving a path across the floor, was too high for cheap rubbish.

"This, this, this and this," Dylan said, picking clothes off the racks and tossing them at Edendir. "I think that should be enough."

"Now what?" Edendir asked, barely able to see over the mountain of fabric.

"Now you go and try them all on." Dylan pushed the elf prince towards the changing rooms, making sure he didn't fall by placing one hand on top of all the clothes.

As Edendir reached the little 'rooms' he felt the clothes be taken out of his arms. Dylan surveyed them for a few seconds before handing an outfit back to the elf, slinging the rest over his arm and sitting down on a narrow, white bench.

"Go on," Dylan urged. "Try them on!"

Edendir walked past the bored-looking sales assistant and into a small cubicle. He patted the sides to test the strength, to see if he could lean against them. They held firm and so the elf continued to look around, tapping the mirror and tugging on the hooks. He accidentally walked into the little seat and angry sparks flew from his hands.

Mentally calming himself down and satisfied that there were no portals or windows into other dimensions in the cubicle Edendir finally looked at the clothes Dylan had handed him. The outfit he was ordered to try on consisted of navy, loose denim trousers - jeans - and a grey T-Shirt (named after the garment's shape, Edendir recalled) over a light blue long-sleeved top.

Obediently Edendir pulled them on, marvelling at how they were in the correct size. Either Dylan was a good guesser or he had a gift, Edendir couldn't be sure.

Edendir unlatched the door and poked his head out, searching for Dylan. He was on another device, flat and grey with a red case. Edendir scanned his brain and estimated that it was a mobile telephone.

"Finally!" Dylan cried, looking up and slipping his phone into his pocket. "Let's see."

The elf shuffled out, thin boots dwarfed by the bottom of the jeans. Dylan narrowed his eyes and pulled a face, considering.

"Try these jeans," Dylan suggested, handing Edendir a different pair. When tried on these were tighter, skinny jeans this time.

Again Edendir walked out and again he was sent back, with a different T-Shirt to try this time. It was white with black fire curling from the bottom, one single flame curling into a question mark. Edendir smiled as he looked at his reflection; he liked this one.

"Edendir, have you died or something?" Dylan asked. Edendir jumped and quickly unlocked the door. Dylan was stood just outside, arms folded, a look of irritation across his face. When he saw what Edendir was wearing that expression cleared and he darted away, vanishing amongst the clothes racks.

"Sorry," Dylan apologised, returning with a coat hanger hooked over his finger. A jacket hung from the coat hanger and was thrust at Edendir enthusiastically.

"Put it on," Dylan urged. "It'll complete the look, trust me."

Edendir raised his eyebrows and shrugged on the garment. It was dusky red velvet with the suits of cards patterned around the cuffs. The inside was black silk and slid over his skin pleasantly.

"Brilliant," Dylan breathed, one hand clasping his elbow, the other at his lips, an appreciative smile on them. "It looks absolutely fantastic."

"Do you like clothes?" Edendir asked, tilting his head.

"Do you mean fashion?" Dylan countered.

"Is that the styles of clothing?"

"Yes," Dylan laughed. "And yeah, I am a fashion co-ordinator. One of the best. You really are from another world, aren't you?"

Edendir narrowed his eyes. "And you are from another country, what's your point?"

"You're learning!" Dylan said, eyes lighting up. "You're learning sarcasm already!"

"That is something the elf world is full of, Dylan."

"Oh."

*

Once the friendly bickering was complete Dylan took Edendir to pay. All the American had to do was flash a card and was then allowed to walk out of the store, having paid remotely for the clothes by putting it on his family's tab.

"Now you go and do some magic tricks on people," Dylan said the second they left the dark interior of the shop.

"And you film it, yes?" Edendir said.

"Yes. Wow, you do learn quick."

"I remember things. You spoke for ages about your camcorder."

Dylan grinned. "It is pretty cool."

"I agree." Edendir smiled slightly. "Who should I approach first?"

"Anyone," Dylan said, spreading his arms wide. "This is London's biggest collection of shops."

"I'm in London?"

"You still have a lot to learn, kid..."