The Christmas Crew

Aunt Katy was perfectly happy with Vassago staying in one of the spare rooms. Edendir had spun her a story about how Vassago was his older brother - with his weird family tree it was entirely possible - and then the prince of darkness had complimented the woman's cooking and she seemed ready to hand over the keys to the house. 

"So what do you do, Vassago?" Aunt Katy asked whilst they were all seated around the table for dinner. Edendir glanced up and raised an eyebrow, curious as to what Vassago would say.

"I'm a comedian of sorts," he said. 

"Tell us a joke," Lilly said.

"Some jokes aren't really appropriate for younger ears," Vassago explained. "It doesn't matter about me, though. What happened to you?" He nodded towards Boyd.

"I got hit by a car," Boyd shrugged.

"Out of hospital so soon?" 

"I'm fine now though."

"You still can't walk up a flight of stairs properly," Dylan pointed out.

"And whenever you walk in a straight line you limp," Edendir added.

"Yeah, but I'm not dead and I still have my legs. For me that's fine." Boyd twirled the cap to his bottle between his fingers. 

"Why did you get hit?" Vassago asked, tilting his head. Edendir had noticed that he tended to do that when curious or confused, a way of expressing emotion for someone with a heart as dark as his name and reputation.

"I picked a fight with the wrong people and the consequences came around and bit me on the behind," Boyd said. 

"You got into a fight?" Aunt Katy said in shock. "Why wasn't I told about this?" 

"Why else did you think he was in hospital?" Lilly sneered. "For not being straight?"

"Lilly!"

"Shut it, kid."

"That was offensive."

"Being hit by a car hurts, y'know!"

"Where I come from," Vassago interrupted, "cruel or derogatory remarks could and probably would be followed by immediate death. But I move around a lot and that set of actions always happens where I am. So is it that lots of people don't take kindly to rude people? Or is it that I always carry out the execution?" Vassago smiled and sat back in his chair, tapping his fingers on the arm. "You choose. Now continue speaking, girl."

Lilly was as white as a sheet and whimpered once before running out of the room. Aunt Katy looked from her to Vassago and then followed her daughter out in silence. Dylan seemed stunned and Boyd was smirking. Edendir whistled through his teeth and then stood up, tapping Vassago on the shoulder to get the prince of darkness to follow him out.

Once in the shadows of the hall Edendir spoke. "You can't treat Lilly like that."

"Why not?" Vassago argued. "She's rude, arrogant and-"

"So are you! You're only being nice to me because we're in the same boat!" Edendir hissed. "Not literally, it's a human saying."

"I know what it means, elf boy."

"Vassago, you need to curb your temper," Edendir said. "No more outbursts. No more threats. The whole 'changing the subject' thing when it got too close to your personal life was good but don't give too much away! Now people are going to be asking why you move around a lot and why you do executing!" Edendir sighed and raked a hand through his hair. He growled and messed it up in frustration. "I now have to explain to my friends who you are, convince them not to be terrified of you and I still have to actually tell Olly that I'm an elf!" He stopped and paused. "And it's nearly Christmas!"