School Before School

The October half term passed quickly and soon it was the last day of freedom the three friends had. During their time of relaxation they'd learnt how to cook the fabulous cookies that Aunt Katy made, successfully tapped into Lilly's phone calls and uploaded hundreds more magic videos. Edendir was getting stopped in the street by people who recognised him and he'd never been happier.

But all good things come to an end and it was that day. The day he needed to go and get a school uniform, the day he needed to get school books.

The day he needed a haircut.

Edendir shuffled in the hairdresser's chair and resisted the urge to scratch the back of his neck as brown hairs fell like feathers in the wind, drifting to the floor like leaves in the autumn. The scissors snipped away at his hair, leaving his neck bare and unprotected. When the hairdresser moved to go and get a new comb something hit the back of Edendir's neck and went down his collar.

"Dylan!" the elf wailed, wriggling about whilst trying to make sure he didn't make any more mess. "What was that for?"

"You better get used to it," Roxie said, talking over Dylan's cruel laughter. "They always pick on the small, weird ones."

"But we'll protect you," Dylan added, wiping a tear of mirth from his eye. "Don't worry, kid."

"If you call him kid then he'll be punched," Roxie told the American. Dylan frowned and shrugged.

"Oh well," he said cheerfully. "That's life."

"No, life is what keeps us going," Edendir muttered angrily, "society and bullies are what get people punched. And bad friendships."

"A little bitter, are we?" Dylan teased. "Get over it, kid."

"We'll make sure that anybody who touches you gets assassinated," Roxie said a little too brightly. "We have money, we have power, we have contacts."

"We have magic," Edendir said just as the hairdresser returned and shooed his friends away. She tightened the string holding the green, protective cape around his shoulders and dragged a comb through the elf's thick mess of hair. He winced and allowed his head to be tugged backwards, hearing the hairdresser tut disapprovingly as the comb's teeth caught.

"I need to get some hairspray, are you allergic to any chemicals?" she asked Edendir.

"No. I don't think so, anyway," Edendir replied. The hairdresser nodded and walked to the opposite side of the room.

Whilst she was gone Edendir quickly sorted out the tangles in his hair, smoothing it down and straightening it out with his fingers and a little bit of magic.

"So I have - oh, it's sorted itself," the hairdresser said in surprise, almost dropping the hairspray.

"Just like magic," Dylan joked. Roxie kicked him and he winced, hopping about and rubbing his shin.

"I guess that you're done then," the hairdresser said, untying the knots that secured Edendir's cape and brushing a few strands of hair off his shoulders. "I assume the charge will go on your tab, Dylan?"

"Of course, Perri," Dylan smiled. "Thanks."

"Can I get you kids a smoothie?" Perri continued. The hairdressing salon was owned by Perri, as was the adjoining smoothie and milkshake bar. Whilst adults got their hair cut their children could go and get something to drink or take advantage of the free WiFi.

"Yes please," the three teenagers chorused. Edendir slid from his chair and followed the others through into the dark room lit with spotlights that was the smoothie parlour.