And The Elf Is Gone

After a dreamless and nightmareless sleep Edendir awoke, eyes heavy and one arm numb because of how he'd been sleeping on it. The duvet had been moved over him and his jacket was folded on the bedside table.

Outside the window stars sparkled in the sky, the curtains drawn back to reveal a stunning view. The night was inky blue, the half moon casting a pale light over the treetops. Owls hooted and foxes screamed, creating the night chorus that could only be witnessed by one who didn't sleep with the rest of the world.

All was still, all was silent. A soft wind blew through the grass and the reeds, fluttering the tree leaves like flags waved enthusiastically. Not a living creature disturbed the might of nature, nothing daring to perpetrate the cool night's hold over the world.

A soft glint caught Edendir's eye and he sat upright, still half asleep. He glanced towards the window and smiled. A oval lake reflected the moon's rays, weakened by a ripple from an invisible nocturnal animal.

Dylan was stood by the window, resting his forehead on the cool glass. His eyes were blank and yet there was a smile on his face, obviously recalling some old memory. There was no sign of tiredness in his frame, staying up using only the power of his head. His back was hunched and his shoulders lowered, one hand on the windowpane and the other was lightly on his leg, tapping a subconscious rhythm.

An owl flitted past the window and Dylan jumped, blinking back to reality. Edendir wrapped his arms around his knees and coughed lightly to get the American's attention.

"You just wake up?" Dylan asked,

"Yes. Do you often stay up at night?" Edendir queried. "It is not common human habit, I recall."

"I'm an insomniac," Dylan explained. "It means I have trouble sleeping or can't at all." He started to sing under his breath, turning back to the outside world.

Edendir pricked up his elf ears and listened to the soft melody. "Leave my door open just a crack, please take me away from here, why do I feel such an insomniac? Please take me away from here..."

"What is that song?" the elf queried.

"Fireflies, by Owl City. Great song, gets stuck in my head for days at a time though. Here." Dylan tapped a few keys on the keyboard he had in front of him and resumed staring out the window. The same song he was humming began to play and Edendir lay forwards on his stomach to watch the video.

Halfway through the video Dylan's door began to creak open and both boys froze. As the splinter of light widened they moved, Edendir flying towards the spinny chair and Dylan throwing himself back to his bed. They hurriedly arranged themselves so that it looked like they were sleeping and by the time the door opened fully, their breathing had slowed and blankets had been draped over their 'sleeping' forms.

Aunt Katy peered around the gap in the door, squinting into the darkness. she clicked on the light switch and there was an audible intake of breath at the sharp glare from Dylan. Aunt Katy narrowed her eyes and walked over to the bed, yanking back the duvet and throwing it to the floor. Dylan squealed and curled into a ball, giggling.

"Why are you awake?" Aunt Katy asked sternly. Dylan straightened out and put his hands behind his head. Edendir sensed that it was safe to sit up and did so, adjusting his rumpled hair above his ears.

"I couldn't sleep," Dylan replied. "Edendir did. Don't worry, I'm taking care of my guest."

"Good," Aunt Katy said, satisfied. "Well, seeing as you two are awake, you may as well have something to eat. Cookies?"

"Cookies!" Dylan echoed in glee. Aunt Katy laughed and ambled back out of the room, leaving the door open behind her.

"You see," Dylan said, sitting up with a grin on his angular face, "this is why Aunt Katy is awesome. No matter what time of the day or night she always has food."