00:15

I was always curious about everything, so it was usual for me be curious of his sister. No, that was me sugarcoating the fact that I want to know more about his life. Something about him intrigued me. Like there was a tint of darkness in him that sparked my curiosity.  

He must've been deep in thoughts for his eyebrows to be crinkled up, and his hands supporting his face — with a faraway gaze in his eyes. He looked silly, and I gave out a hearty laugh which made him jump in surprise.

"What?" He asked, glancing at me with an innocent expression.

"Nothing. Your face was so serious — it looked ridiculous." I chuckled once more.

"I do not look ridiculous. It does not exist in my dictionary.

"Really? A dictionary? Maybe you thought it doesn't exist was because you couldn't read it." I said with my eyebrow raised.

He boomed with laughter — with his entire body shaking, and I couldn't help but laugh along as well until there were tears in the corner of my eyes.

"You entertain me, Nev. You really do." 

"What can I say? It's a talent." I wiped my eyes with my hand.

"Speaking of which, I still have two more questions for you, sweetheart."

"Ask away, captain."

"And I'm not your sweetheart." I added

"Where were you from, sweetheart?" He said, emphasizing on the word sweetheart to aggravate me even more.

"Sorry?"

"I mean, were you from the supermarket or the mall or somewhere else before?"

"Oh, the library."

He tensed suddenly, but switched back to his normal composure in a heartbeat. Something must've happened in the library, and maybe he didn't think that I would notice his abrupt silence — but I did and I'm finding out why.

"So, the mysterious lady likes to read."

"You can say that — I was actually giving my mom her lunch."

"That's nice. Your mom's the librarian?"

"Yes."

"Okay, next question. Why do you seem so tense? So... closed off?"

His question threw me off-guard. I wasn't expecting him to ask that, with only five question available to ask.

"I'm just not a people person, I guess. I don't really like talking to strangers." It's not a lie. It's the truth. Maybe half of it. I used to love talking to strangers about anything and everything. But what happened shattered me.

"What's the reason?" He looked at me with calculating eyes, as if he knew the whole time that I was keeping something away.

"Now, that's a story for another time. You've used up all your questions, Jack."

His lips lifted up to a smirk. "Ah, using my own words against me. Smart."

"I learned from the best."

Ten points for Nevada  — and zero for Jack.

  ____________  

"So, where were you from?" 

"What do you mean?" He stared at me blankly.

I sighed, "Where you from the mall or the-"

"Right,' he cut me off, "The hellhole."

"What? There's a new place here?"

"School, Nev. It's the only place that will give you invalid reasons to stay back or miss your lunch."

"Oh, you mean you got a detention?"

"Yeah — and it was three detentions."

  _____________________________  

author's note: 

Thank you all so much for the 100+ reads! You don't know how excited and thankful I am! 

Please don't forget to vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!

:)