Ch. 60

The next day I woke up and there was no Maddox beside me. I know he has been staying awake at night because last night I felt him flip me over when I rolled onto my stomach. When I looked at him after flipping me over, all I saw was concern on his face. I fell in love with him all over again in those few seconds. We made love, like the last time it was soft and slow. I didn't mind it this time and I felt closer to him, it was beautiful.

I get out of bed and walk to the bathroom, no Maddox. I leave the room and I hear his voice coming from his office. I walk softly and listen. He sounds so sad. I hear part of the conversation. He must be taking to a specialist about my condition. It's not going well because Maddox isn't asking any more questions. I hear him thank the person and hang up the phone. I hear his frustrated sigh. I can't help it, I feel responsible for his sadness, he would be such a great father. He deserves happiness, he's been so confused and lost for way too long. This would give him roots, the stability of knowing he's not alone anymore. I know this is how he's feeling because I'm starting to feel the same.

I knock on the door then open it with a smile on my face. I don't want him to know I was listening. He'd worry that I was worrying. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"I had a couple of phone calls to make. Come here, I need to hold you."

I walk over to him and he pulls me onto his lap. "I love you." I say.

"I love you, too." He says breathing in my hair.

"We'll make it through this no matter what. I'll be here for you. You'll never be alone again." I say snuggling into his chest.

"Promise?"

"Promise. Never again." I say with finality. A few minutes later he asks.

"Will you marry me?.... We don't have to walk down the aisle right away, just wear my ring." He says slipping something on my hand. I look and see a stunning diamond. It's a solitary five carat diamond with little diamonds embedded in the band on both sides. I gasp.

"It's gorgeous." I say quietly. I'm still in shock starting at the ring. "You all ready designed a ring?"

"Yes, I picked out the stone personally. It's perfect. I knew it would look more beautiful on your hand. So, will you?"

I look up and see he's nervous. I have never seen Maddox nervous before and I'm slightly taken back. He thinks I'd say no. I want to wait to get married but after this week and coming to understand him, I know I don't want anyone else. He might be scarred from his parents and everything, but then again so am I. He's not perfect but he's perfect for me.

"Yes." I say huskily.

I hear him suck in a deep breath. "Yes?" He asks looking like he must have heard wrong.

"Yes." I say looking at him.

Our mouths meet and we kiss until both of us are breathless. We draw back and stare at each other. "We have to shower and get going it’s all ready eleven."

"You'll wear this." He says holding my hand and stroking my finger.

"I'll never take it off." I reply getting off his lap.

When he doesn't get up I look at him confused and see he's stunned. "Get over it, Maddox. I all ready told you I won't be going anywhere. I mean it."

"I will deserve you one day. I'll make sure if it." He says standing up and looking me in the eyes. "I will give you everything."

"All I want is you and our family. Even if adding to our family comes later. Just like you, it's all I want."

***************************