Ch. 55

Maddox and I head back to the condo so he can change before going to the office. I decide to stay at the condo to wait for him. I'm kind of scared to go to my aunt’s, what if she knows? I mean the whole team and other random people know.

I sit on the couch, watching the news. I look up as Maddox comes into the room. Holy moly! He's in a charcoal grey suit tailored to perfection with a black tie and he’s wearing his glasses. He looks good enough to eat.

He smiles at me. "Like what you see, kitten?"

"Not really, more like loving what I'm seeing. You look incredible." I say honestly.

"Thanks." His smile gets even bigger. "I'll be back a little before four, your appointment is at half past."

"Okay. Have fun trying to take over the world."

"I will. See you soon." He says pecking my lips.

I watch him leave and go back to watching T.V. When my show finishes, I decide to go see what clothes I have here. I need to know what I absolutely need to bring over from Aunt Mary’s. Going to the bedroom closest, I start shifting through the clothes. There is plenty of room for all of my things. I see a stack of clean t-shirts that Maddox disregarded without putting back in the drawers. I pick them up and open the top dresser drawer. I see the box of condoms at the top on a stack of socks. I pick them up. This isn't the same box he bought the first night we were together. Where did this one come from? I take them out, setting them on the top of the dresser; they don't really belong here so I take them to the bathroom. Why would he need to buy more? I'm pregnant, I can't get pregnant again. Wait, they have been opened. Did he forget he had some in here before we made love?

I open the box to see five condoms left out of thirty and about twenty different phone numbers all from girls. Why did he keep all of these? It makes me sick to think of him with so many other women. However, the thought of him knowingly not using protection when he had condoms is worse. He told me he didn't have any. I hope to God he simply forgot about them. Then I think about all the women, twenty different numbers and he never once forgot with any of them. Then I think of Tyler's plea to me, begging me to see that Maddox did it on purpose. All of the trust Maddox earned today is taken back in this instant. If he ever admits to knowing that he had condoms, I will be devastated.

I put his shirts away feeling like I should snoop, what if he’s lying about other things? No, I don't think he is. I think if there is any secret it's this and that's it. I need to get out of here. I throw the condoms on the bed and decide to get out and drive around. I get to my car and start driving. I find myself downtown and I decide to park and walk up and down the sidewalk shops.

I start walking and come to a little boutique with nice clothes so I go in. I enter and see a pretty blonde at the counter looking bored, she looks at me and her eyes narrow. What's her problem, jeez? I look away from her, she’s wearing too much makeup and her shirt is way too tight. Some girls have no class. I hope if Maddox and I have a girl she never dresses that desperately. I browse through the clothes and find a cute red cardigan. I decide to buy that and a short laced summer dress. I dread going to the checkout counter but I love the clothes so I'll deal with it.

"All set?" The girl asks.

"Yep, you guys really have nice things." I compliment to ease the animosity I feel coming from her.

"Whatever, you dress like a twelve year old going to church."

"Excuse me?" I ask truly confused and angry at her rude attitude.

"You heard me, slut. I know you’re with Maddox now and that he's only with you because he knocked you up. I was with him last week after his fight. Trust me, he doesn't even want you. You should have heard the things he said he wanted to do to me. He never once mentioned you."