Ch. 59

An hour before we have to leave I ask Maddox what I should wear. All he said was white, what is with him and white? I decide to try and look good because I know Lauren will be trying to do the same.

I lay out my short white dress that I made Maddox go get from Aunt Mary's. John was at practice with J.J. or else I doubt Maddox would have gone. I style my hair in loose waves and put on light makeup. After I get my dress and shoes on, it’s time to go. I walk out as Maddox is coming down the hall.

"You look great." Maddox looks me over.

"Thank you. So do you." I say looking at his dark grey slacks and black dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up his forearms.

"Let's go." He says and takes my hand.

Once we're in the car I can feel my nerves start. I hate knowing how awful this is going to be, but I’m unable to really do anything about it. I don't want to see either Jason or Lauren. One has seen me naked and the other wished I was naked...in a morgue.

"This is going to be awful, isn't it?" I ask dreading this dinner.

"Probably." He smirks.

"This is not something to smirk about, Maddox."

"Sorry." He says turning his smirk into a full-blown smile.

"Yeah, you look it." I reply sarcastically.

Twenty minutes later we pull up to a huge two story house with a six car garage. Maddox gets out and as I go to open the door it's opened for me. I look up and Jason is standing in front of me.

"Hello, beautiful." He greets smiling.

Maddox pushes him out of the way and helps me out of the car.

"Well hello to you, too, Maddox." Jason teases.

Maddox doesn't say anything as we walk to the front door where Lauren and two older well dressed people are standing. Her parents I'm assuming.

I can feel the death glares coming from Lauren so I don't look at her. Jason is walking somewhat beside me and I know Maddox is not happy by the grip on my arm.

"You must be Hadley, we've heard so much about you. I'm Jack and this is my wife, Lori."

I shake his hand then Lori's, she looks at me like I'm lacking. Great, another Lauren. "Nice to see you again, Lauren." I say to her. I'm a polite person, I can be civil. It's on her if this dinner gets ruined.

She scoffs and Jack quickly ushers us into the house. We go to a sitting room with chairs and couches. We sit and a server with a tray of drinks comes in. I see that it's all wine. So this is how they want to flush it out that I'm pregnant. I can tell Maddox notices and his eyes narrow on the drinks.

"I know you think Hadley is pregnant. It's true, she is." Maddox says without ceremony.

I blush at their shocked faces, way to go Maddox! Just lay it on them. Jason recovers first.

"Damn, Maddox, way to lock that down. That was a fast decision, even for you." He says knowingly.

"What a slut, everyone knows she did it to keep Maddox." Lauren says acting repulsed by me.

"That's enough, Lauren." Jack scolds.

"She's not a slut, she was a virgin. And Jason is closer to the truth than you are." Maddox replies calmly.

"Why her anyway? She's nothing special, she's the size of one of my legs." Lauren complains.

"I love her. Now enough, Lauren. I mean it." Maddox warns almost daring her to say more. Lauren huffs but stays silent.