~Chapter 24~

Finishing setting the table, I looked up to see Kolby exiting the house with a bucket filled to the top with ice. " Set that over here," Kolby's mom instructed, pointing to a spot beside the large grill.

" No, Mom," Kolby replied, setting the bucket down by the table, " The ice will melt too quickly if I set it there."

Kolby's mom shrugged, and his dad looked up from the grill. " What time is it?" He asked anxiously.

Ever since Kolby's dad has woken up, he has had an anxious look on his face. He asks what time it was every five minutes, and he was getting more and more anxious to leave.

Kolby's mom rolled her eyes. " Only 11:30am."

Since we decided on having lunch, we were making brunch. Eggs, French toast, bacon, and sausages were being cooked on the grill, along with baked potatoes. Fresh strawberries, orange slices, and blueberries were set out in a bowl with ice in the bottom of it in the middle of the table.

I turned around to see Jake's blue Mustang driving up the driveway. He stopped the car, and jumped outside. " Haven't seen that baby in a long time," I commented as Jake walked toward me, tilting my head to the car.

" Yeah, figured I should take her out for a drive," He replied, looking around, " Where's Mom and Dad?"

I shrugged, and felt a tap on my shoulder. " Can you go get the coffee from the kitchen? Kolby was supposed to get it, but he never came back yet," Kolby's mom asked, her eyes full of worry.

Nodding, I made my way to the front door of the house. I opened it cautiously, and glared around before shutting it again once I got inside. " Kolby?" I asked.

There was no reply, so I started walking toward the kitchen. I just entered the kitchen when muscular arms wrapped around me from behind. I spun around, and met Kolby's green gaze. Stepping on the tips of my toes, I pressed my lips against his. He pulled away, and gave me a smirk. " Not with your brother right outside," He whispered.

" Agreed," I replied, " Can you grab the coffee? I'll get the cream and sugar."

" Alright," He murmured, smiling widely.

I glared confusingly at him, and he pecked my lips. I went to grab his shirt collar to pull him back in, but he dodged to the side, laughing. " Kolby!" I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest.

Kolby continued laughing as I grabbed the cream from the fridge, and the sugar from the cupboard. We exited the kitchen, then walked back outside. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of my parents car parked in the driveway. My heard dropped, and my eyes searched around the yard until they made contact with my dads. Jake was already glaring at him from a chair that was pulled up to the table, an orange segment in his hand.

My hand involuntarily grripped Kolby's, and he ran his thumb over my hand reassuringly. " Come on," He whispered, " Let's sit beside Jake."

I nodded in agreement, and followed Kolby to the table. Jake looked up at me, his eyes softening. " You can sit here," He said, pointing to the seat bside him.

" Alright," I replied, setting the creme and sugar down on the table as Kolby set the coffee down as well.

I stepped in beind the table, and sat down on Jake's left side. Kolby sat down next to me, and his mom came rushing over to us. " Kolby, I need you to blend the ice and coffee together and make 7 servings," She said, her voice rushed.

" Ok," Kolby replied, " Where are the cups?"

She placed a pile of large plastic cups on the table in front of him, and gave him a smile. " The blender is over there," She said, tilting her head to the left, " beside the barbeque. Remember, don't have any large chunks of ice in the mixture, and don't have it too watery. Make it like... like a-"

" Like a Tim Horton's iced capp but with coffee," I finished with a smile.

Kolby's mom smiled back, and nodded solemly as Kolby stood up. " Madison!" Kolby's dad yelled from the grill, " Come get this stuff! Everything's ready!"

His mom rolled her eyes, and glanced at me. " He's anxious to leave, can't you tell?"

" Yeah, just a bit," I replied, laughing softly.

She laughed too, and started to walk over to the grill, passing my parents as she did so. They sat down at the table with me and Jake, and I glared at each of them as the noise of the blender filled my ears. " So," My mom said over the soft noise, " I'm glad you have your bike back."

" Me too," I replied.

We sat in silence until Kolby's mom placed all of the food onto the table in front of us. Jake went to grab a piece of bacon, and she slapped his hand away. " Not until everyone's here," She scolded, then walked away to grab the rest of the food.

" Look what you have to deal with if she becomes your mother-in-law," Jake whispered.

I let out a soft laugh, and my dad glanced around the yard, eyes wide. " They rich?" He asked, looking at me.

" His dad went to Alberta to work last winter, so he made a lot of money there," I replied.

Kolby came back to the table, and placed cups of coffee blended with ice onto the table. He sat back down beside me, and grasped my hand as his parents sat down on each end of the table. " Let's eat!" Kolby's dad exclaimed as he eyed the food in front of him, " I'm starving!"

" No," His mom replied, " You just want to get back on that trip."

" No, I don't actually!"

I glanced over at Kolby, and his eyes were furious as he stood up. " You!" He said, pointing to his dad, " Shut up! And you!" He pointed to his mom. " Shut up, also! Can we just enjoy this meal without you two bickering like you were married for 50 years?"

I stared wide eyed at Kolby as he sat back down, and silence overwhelmed the table. " He's right," His mom said quietly, " We need to stop."

" Agreed," His dad replied.

That was intense, I said to myself as I grabbed a piece of toast. " So," My dad started as I placed a piece of bacon into my mouth, " There's a race next weekend. I was wondering if... if you wanted to go? I could take you. I haven't seen you race in a while."

" Um, sure?" I replied.

" Good," He said, giving me a small smile.

I smiled back, and Jake cleared his throat. " Could you take me too?" He asked.

My dad narrowed his eyes. " What's wrong with your truck?"

" Ripped the transmission out of it by going mudding the other day with my friends..."

The whole table burst out laughing, and I looked over at him. " Only you would do that," I laughed.

My dad nodded his head. " I'll take you, too," He replied between laughs.

We continued having conversations about whatever came up. It felt as if my whole family was broken apart when my bike was stolen, but now, it felt as if it was finally whole again. My sense of security was finally re-established, and I was as happy as I could get.