~Chapter 14~

I opened the passenger side door, and Jake ran over to me. As soon as my feet hit the pavement, Jake engulfed me in a hug. " What happened to you? Everyone was worried sick."

" Long story. You'll here all about it when I tell the police officers," I replied.

All three of us entered the police station, and the lady behind the desk smiled at us. " What can I help you guys with?" She asked.

" I've come to report something," I replied, " I'm Kaylie Skye. The girl who's dirt bike was stolen."

The ladies eyes widened at the sound of my name, and she nodded frantically. " Yes, ok I will get an officer to come interview you as soon as possible. Please take a seat."

" Thank you," I replied.

I walked over to the chairs, and sat down in between Kolby and Jake. As soon as I got settled, a young police officer walked out into the waiting room, holding a clipboard. " Kaylie Skye?" He asked, looking toward me.

" That's me," I said, standing up.

Kolby and Jake went to stand up too, but the police officer held up his hand. " Were you two present during what happened to Kaylie?"

" Um, no. Sorry," Jake replied quickly, sitting back down.

" I wasn't either, but can I come?" Kolby asked.

The officer shook his head. " No, I just need Kaylie to give her statment. It will only take a moment."

I gave Kolby a warning look, and he reluctantly sat back down. " You can tell Jake what happened while I'm gone," I whispered.

Kolby nodded, and I followed the police officer into an interrogation room. I sat down in the seat across from him, and tapped my fingers on the wooden table. The officer pulled a recording device out of his pocket, and turned it on. " Sergant Jordan Dallas of the West Prince detatchement getting a statement from Kaylie Skye," He said into the device, and then shut it off. " Ok, so when the red light goes on, you start from the beginning of your story. Don't leave anything out. What is this about again?"

" I was kidnapped," I replied.

The officer's eyes widened. " Oh, we better do this quick."

I narrowed my eyes, and the officer handed me the recorder. He turned it on, and nodded for me to begin. I told the whole story, leaving no details out. The officer listened contently, staying silent the whole time. I mentioned Ashley's grudge against me, and finally finished by talking about Alex. " They looked absolutely pis... I-I mean ticked, when they saw us. I don't know if he's ok or not. He told me to leave as soon as they came."

I nodded to the officer, and he turned off the recording device. " Thank you. Just wait one moment."

I watched as he left me in the congested room, and I glared at my fingers. The door opened, and I looked up, my eyes meeting Kolby's. " What's going on?" I asked, nervousness coursing through my viens.

Kolby sat down beside me, and placed a hand on my leg. The officer sat down across from us, and glared at Kolby. " Can you tell me about this grudge Ashley has against Kaylie?" He asked.

" Um, sure?" Kolby replied, uncertainly, " It's pretty simple really. She likes me, but I like Kaylie. Therefore, she believes Kaylie stole me away from her. She keeps trying to get Kaylie back by stealing her bike, and the last incident."

" Well," The officer said, pulling an envelope out from under the table and pushing it toward us, " She filed a complaint against you."

" Wait, against who?" I asked, confused.

" Against Kolby," The officer replied, " For assult. This could give you a few nights in jail at the least, or maybe even just a charge if you're lucky."

My heart thumped hard in my chest, and I glanced over at Kolby. He would never do something like that, I said to myself, he's not violent. I should know. Kolby turned to face me, and worry filled his eyes. I faced the officer again, and raised my eyebrows. " When was the assult?" I asked.

" I don't know the exact date, but it was sometime during the summer. Ashley came into the police station with a bruise on her cheek, claiming Kolby hit her at a party."

Kolby slammed his fist down on the table, making me jump. " I knew she would go to the police about that!" He yelled.

" About what?" I asked.

" Don't you remember when she kissed me? I pushed her away, lightly though, and she ran outside bawling her eyes out," Kolby replied, " That's when she found you."

The memory came flooding back to me, and my eyes went wide. " Yes! Then Cole took her home. Someone said he tried to take advantage of her. I forget who it was."

" Guys, wait," The officer interrupted, holding his hand up, " Is this the Cole who kidnapped you?"

" Yes," I replied, " He was inlove with Ashley all summer. He even shot a guy because he talked to her one time."

The officer's mouth dropped open, and I covered mine with my hand. I don't think I was supposed to say that, I said to myself. The officer pulled a notebook out of his pocket. " Who's the victim of the shooting?"

" Jinx Nickelson," I replied, " Officer, listen. Kolby isn't violent, I should know. We can get witnesses to prove he didn't hit her."

" We're going to have to keep him here until we can speak with the witnesses," The officer responded, putting his notebook away, " You should go home, Kaylie. After everything that has happened to you, you should go rest."

" I'm not going anywhere!" I snapped, " He didn't do anything wrong, why should he be staying here?"

" It's just until we get the truth from Ashley, Cole, and the other witnesses. Once I'm finished with that, I can move onto your case and he can go home."

The officer left the room, staying close to the door outside. Kolby grabbed my hand, and I faced him. " Go home," He ordered, " You look drained from everything that happened. Go get your bike from my place, and everything will be ok."

" This is what she wanted," I retorted.

" I know that. Once the cops get everything settled with me, I'll be out of here in no time. Now, go home!"

I gave Kolby a hug, and he kissed the top of my head. " I love you," I whispered.

" I love you too."

As I walked out of the room with the officer at my side, my heart felt as if it was being shredded into a million pieces. What if the officers didn't believe him or the others? What if Ashley made a strong enough lie, they would believe her?

" Hey," The officer interrupted my thoughts, " I believe he's telling the truth about that night. I just need to do my job and get everyone else's statements. Plus, if Ashley was drunk, she could be charged."

" Why?" I asked.

" Underage drinking."

I said goodbye to the officer, and walked back into the waiting room. Jake looked up at me, confused. " Where's Kolby?" He asked.

I walked out the front doors of the police station, and up to Jake's truck. As soon as I went to get in, he grabbed my arm. " What happened? What did he do?"

I turned to face him. " Ashley told the police he assaulted her. She said it was the night of the party when he kissed her, but it was actually Cole who gave her a bruise on her cheek. If they find Kolby guilty, he could be in jail or charged. The officer I was talking to said he believes his story, but needs to get other witnesses statements."

Jake looked relieved as I opened the truck door and jumped inside. He got in beside me, and turned the ignition on. " So, do you want to get your bike now?"

" Yeah, then I need to sleep. But first, get something to eat."

" Always eating," Jake teased, turning out of the police station.