~Chapter 23~

I wiped the cloth over my bike one last time, and stood back to admire the work. After me and Kolby left the stream, we were driving back to his house and found a mud puddle. Let's just say, my bike after five minutes was completely brown. I even had to take the carburetor apart and clean it because my bike wasn't working right afterwards. It was just a clugged pipe, thankfully.

I glanced over at Kolby, and he wiped a hand across his forehead, leaving a streak of mud. " Um, Kolby?" I said, holding in my laughter.

" Yeah?" Kolby replied, giving me a confused look.

I walked up to him, and licked my thumb. " You got something on your forehead," I whispered, smearing my thumb above his eyebrows.

" That's disgusting," Kolby commented, scrunching up his nose.

I let out a little laugh, and tapped Kolby's nose as I heard a car engine just outside of the closed garage door. The engine cut off, and Kolby let out a sigh. " My parents," He clarified.

I nodded, and grasped his hand as he opened the garage door to reveal his parents stepping out of the car. " Hello guys!" Kolby's mom exclaimed once she saw us.

" Hi," I replied shyly.

" So, tomorrow is still a go? I called your parents and Jake already," Kolby's mom asked, looking at me with concern in her eyes.

I nodded, and Kolby's dad rolled his eyes. " We interrupted our business trip to Harrington because of this," He grumbled, " We need to leave as soon as this party is over so we can get back to work."

Kolby's mom snapped her head around to glare at him, and she narrowed her eyes. " You'll get back to work! You could've stayed if you wanted to."

Kolby grasped my arm gently, and pulled me towards the house door. " Let's go before someone gets hit," He whispered.

We walked inside, and he shut the door, locking the yelling outside. He turned to me, and gave me a smile. " You want to watch T.V. down here or in my room?" He asked

" Your room," I replied quickly.

" You can head up and I'll grab some food."

I nodded in agreement, and started making my way up the stairs. Once I got to the top, Shadow came running out of my room, Diesel hard on his heels. Giggling, I walked into Kolby's room and shut the door. I layed down on his bed, facing the large flatscreen T.V. Unlocking my phone, I got a text from Jake.

Jake: Happy about tomorrow?

Me: No, you?

Jake: No, but I didn't want to be rude and say I didn't want to come. At least I'll be there if Dad says something to you about your bike.

Me: True. Anyways, see you tomorrow.

I locked my phone, and set it down beside me on the bed. The main door downstairs slammed loudly, and I jolted upwards. I heard footsteps running on the hardfloor, then Kolby's voice a few seconds later. " What the hell is going on?" He yelled.

" Your father wants to go back to the hotel tonight because he has a meeting tomorrow night. I keep telling him we will be back before then, but he won't stop," Kolby's moms voice replied loudly.

The door slammed again, and I bit the inside of my cheek. Should I got down and see what's going on? Or would it be safer to stay up here at the moment?

" I told you Madison!" Kolby's dads voice boomed from downstairs, " I can't miss or be late for this meeting or I'll be fired!"

" You know what!" Kolby's mom yelled even louder, " Leave then! What's stopping you?"

" You have to come with me too or we'll both get fired!"

It went dead silent, and I would've been able to hear a pin drop at that exact moment. " I told you, we will leave right after the supper-"

" The meeting is at 5 tomorrow night!" Kolby's dad exclaimed.

" Fine. We'll have lunch then. Happy now, Nick?" Kolby's mom asked, her voice full of annoyance.

" I'm leaving you two alone. If you want to continue yelling, go outside. Kaylie is upstairs and I don't want her to know my parents are complete lunatics," Kolby said quickly.

I couldn't supress a laugh as I heard footsteps outside of the bedroom door. Kolby gently pushed it open, and set a bowl of chips down on the bed beside me. He shut the door, and ran a hand through his hair. " Sorry about that," He said quietly.

" It's fine," I replied, " Who's parents don't fight once in a while?"

Kolby nodded shyly, and sat down beside me. He grabbed the T.V. remote from the bedside table, and turned the T.V. on. " What do you want to watch?" He asked.

I watched curiously as he scrolled through the long list of shows. Finally, one caught my eye. " The Dead Files," I said.

" I never watched it," Kolby stated, selecting the show.

I turned to face him, my eyes wide. He shrugged, and I shook my head. " Have you even heard about it?" I asked.

" Nope, what's it about?"

I told him the show was about a physical medium and retired NYPD detective investigating a haunted house or building. Kolby's eyes widened as soon as I mentioned the haunted part. " I'm up for it," He said.

I gave him a smile, and grabbed a handful of chips as the show started.