Chapter seventy-three - Second thoughts

And because of you I've got the strength to start

Zayn's POV

"So let our beautiful Night Changes girls come on stage" Harry said smilingly and all the fans cheered. I looked straight at Liam, who gave me an awkward wink. 

Since the tour had started, our management had realized that our admirers were eager to get more...involved...with us. As a clear marketing trick, they had arranged it so that during Night Changes, five girls would come on stage with us, so that we could sing to them. 

At first, it had been a shocker. None of us knew how to seduce a girl like that. We had to sing to them and to make them feel everything that the song said. To Astrid's advice, I had tried to act the nicest that I could with all of the fans. My girl was right, I owed my success to them,  I had to treat them right.

As the crowd kept cheering, five girls got on stage. All of them had a shocked smile plastered on their face. They were ecstatic, it was clear. I mean, I would be so too if I were to be about to meet and get sung by my idols

Each one of the girls had been instructed to approach one of us. We were expected to stand in the middle of the stage waiting for our respective girl. I stared as a short brunette approached Harry and he engulfed her in her long arms. The little girl couldn't stop crying, even though Harry was trying his hardest to soothe her. 

My thoughts were interrupted when a little blonde got closer to me. As I stared down at her, I smiled warmly at her. 

"Hey" I told her while I took her hand. "I'm Zayn."

She didn't speak, so I kept grinning, showing her that everything was alright.

"Babe, it's okay." I finally spoke, as I realized that she wouldn't move. I quickly pulled her into a hug. She sobbed quietly on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry" She reached to pronounce. "I'm so sorry, I just..."

"No, darling" I smiled, even though she wouldn't be able to see me. "It's fine, it's totally fine."

"It's just that I love you so much and you're..."She tried to squeal, but I interrupted her.

"Shhh, baby, no need to explain" I touched her cheek. "I understand that you're nervous, but there's no need to be, alright?" I grinned at her, and she nodded in response. 

"You're too perfect." She muttered as she stared at me. I could feel the heat coming up to my face. 

"So are you." I replied with a beam on my face. "What was your name again?" I asked and she giggled.

"I'm Anne" She spoke.

"That's my..." I stopped. That was Astrid's middle name, but I couldn't talk about Astrid. Well, I shouldn't. 

I mean, Astrid was on my mind 24/7, and that's exactly what kept me cheery, but I couldn't make it all about her. 

I shouldn't.

Astrid on my mind made me happy. Heck, it made me completely radiant, and yes, it made me overcome difficult times. 

But that wasn't the best thing for my fans. They had accepted me dating Astrid, but that didn't mean that they were delighted with the idea.

I wouldn't be either, if I can be honest. If my idol were to become a fucking superhero every time he was with this girl, I would get jealous. I would want to be that girl.

Wait, that sounds awkward.

I would want to be that boy.

Anyways, it was Anne's moment now. I had to make it seem as if I had completely forgotten about Astrid and make her feel like a princess.