Chapter forty-eight - Scavenger Hunt

And I will steal us a car

And we will drive to the stars.

I will give you the moon.

It's the least I can do

If you give me the chance.

Astrid's POV

The night had been awful. Max had tried his best to comfort me, but it had been impossible. I wouldn't get over the fact that my best friend had deceived me like that.

"Don't forget to finish your paper due today at 11:59. No later works will be accepted" Professor Smith told us, but I wasn't really listening. I wanted to get out of that class as soon as it was humanly possible.

The only thing that kept me going was that next class was Professor Jones'. He loved me and I loved his class, so we made a good team. I sighed and walked to class at a slow pace.

As soon as I got in, I noticed everyone looking at me. I just stared at them back and went to my every day place on the front row. And there's where the surprise hit.

I smiled not even knowing why. Without me realizing it, Professor Jones had already joined us in the class and observed me patiently.

"What's his name?" He asked jokingly and I shook frightened.

"What?" I reached to respond.

"What's the name of the gentleman that sent you those red roses? You know that those signify love, by the color, right?" He kept asking me and I couldn't help but blush.

"I-I-I don't know, to be honest. I just got here and these were here and I haven't done anything but wonder why they are here." I spoke faster than I should.

"Take your time" Professor Jones...smirked...at me, and I read a small note that was attached to the bouquet.

"Wherever you are is the place I belong"

I shook again, and froze not realizing what was going on. Professor Jones laughed and directed to me.

"Everything okay, Miss Taylor?"

"Yes" I reached to say "Just..."

"Surprised?" He finished my sentence.

"Yeah"

Suddenly, a loud knock was heard on the door of the class. Professor Jones opened the door and looked at me. Then, everyone looked at me.

"Astrid, they're looking for you" He signaled me and I stood up taking my flowers with me. "It's fine, you're dismissed for today." He smiled and I smiled back shyly.

I was faced to a small man that looked at me angrily.

"Astrid Taylor?" He asked and I nodded. "This is for you" He handed me a note and a red rose to add to my collection and started walking away.

"Sir!" I called him and he turned around "What's the matter?"

"There's no matter, or at least no matter that I'm aware of." He confirmed "Just do what the note says, that's what they've told me to do." I nodded and he walked away.

A sweaty small paper...

"Scavenger Hunt: Clue One,

It's early in the morning and you haven't slept a lot. There's no time and you have to run, there's only one place that you would go."

What was this even about? Scavenger Hunt? Was I eight or something?

I didn't understand shit, but I knew that I would understand less if I didn't go wherever the clue was instructing me to go. I stopped and thought for a while.