Chapter Eight: I Miss You

Previously from Chapter 7:

“I’m Caesar and by the way your pressing the wrong button" he says as he reaches in front of me and presses the parking lot button and the elevator immediately starts going down. Oh My God I caused a scene for nothing. “I’m so embarrassed" I say. “Naw you gave me a much needed laugh, trust me your day can’t be any worse than mine kid" he says showing me his dimples. I loved how he called me kid, someone else used to call me that when I was little. I look at him i can’t shake the feeling that I know this man but I don’t know where. I study his face and I see small scar above his lip where I hit him with a water gun when I was six, and his maroon shirt that doesn’t hide the tattoos he has. The elevator finally stops at the parking lot. “Alright see you later ma" he says as he walks to his own car. I looked at him again and one name keeps ringing in my ear "Jaydon" I say under my breath.

Chapter 8: I Miss You

Eve’s POV

As I watched him get into his truck, my mind screamed for me to run after him, and tell him that I loved him since I was six years old, since he gave me my first kiss,  and that I might never feel this way with anybody else, and that I never  want too ….but my body stayed put. I couldn’t move, my feet were stuck to ground, bonded by apprehension and fear. My mind clouded with doubt, if he didn’t he recognize me like I did him than that means I wasn’t as important in his life as I thought I was. With a heavy heart I watched  as he got into his truck and drove away, away from me and what I wanted us to be.  I swallowed the tears that threatened to fall any second and I walked in the direction of my own car.

I glanced at time and relief flooded my mind as it said 6:30. Everyone was out of the house and I would be safe. I tried my best to focus on traffic and getting home safely, but it seemed that my heart and mind wouldn’t let me. No matter how hard I tried, my thoughts kept going back to Jaydon. I loved the man that he grew into. I wondered how life is treating him. I think back to the picture that I kept on my vanity of me and him. It was at his grandmother’s funeral. He was so sad, and even at a young age I knew then that I was in love, and I wanted to take his pain from him, and if I could I would. I never saw him after that, he stopped coming to the church and it was like he was never there.

  Why didn’t he recognize me, is what I thought over and over and why is calling himself Cesar. Unless he isn’t him and my heart wants it to be Jaydon so much that I’m making a complete stranger him. “Shit” I say as I swerve away from grey maxima to avoid hitting it. “I’m sorry “I say through my driver’s window at the elderly white lady that I almost hit.  She gives me her middle finger as she curses me out while honking her horn. I’m not in the mood to fight with a old lady especially since it’s my fault, so I just drive on in the direction to my house with Jaydon still heavy on my mind, and Beyoncé’s I Miss You playing through my speakers.

            Thirty minutes later I’m driving down my street, past mansions, manicured lawns, Lamborghinis, and pools. From the outside looking in, people always have the impression that I have the life, and I guess if I were you I would feel the same way about me. I could go to Gucci and spend four grand easily, I could have any car I wanted, but I’m not happy, I never was. The life that I live comes with a price, and I’m paying for it by living in my own hell. I would give everything back to have my mother.  Tomorrow is her birthday; I miss her more than anything. Daddy hasn’t said anything about tomorrow, no doubt he forgot her. He is too busy with Jennifer and the new baby to even think about my mother. It almost like he never married her, like she didn’t exist. It  so easy for him to forget an amazing woman but I can’t. This pain that I feel will stay with me for the rest of my life, and I don’t think I will ever get over it.

            Fear creeps up my spine as  I pull into my drive way and see my father’s car. I didn’t know what to do. I thought I could just keep working more hours, and come home after everyone else goes to work. It was stupid of me to think that I could just keep avoiding them; I mean I knew I would have to face them someday. I just didn’t think that day would be today, or  right now. I didn’t have a plan, so I just sat in my car, thinking of my next move.