Chapter Two: Alice In Wonderland

Eve

“UMM YESS DADDDDY RIGHT THERE “came the muffled moans from my father’s room. It was her again and they were at it again. They, being my father and his new wife.  I turned over and looked at the clock on my night stand. The neon green numbers flashing 7:15am. I pulled my covers back and got of bed. I unlocked my door and I headed down the hall passing the ohms and awe’s from my dad’s room and the snoring from Joe’s room.  I opened the cherry oak door with a cross on it and turned the knob. I looked around and it was the same it still had pictures of Jesus on every wall, the angel Gabriel descending from heaven and crosses hanging from the ceiling pillows were aligned on the floors and candles everywhere. It was my mom’s prayer room. She said every “house needs a place where they can pray to Jesus and be alone and away from every day’s distractions. She prayed in here three days straight when she was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer. The doctors gave her three weeks to live, she lived for three months. My mom was always a fighter. After her first chemo treatment she decided against chemo therapy she said’ when god calls me it will be my time to go home. Until then I will just wait on the lord.

She died three days after that. I guess God had a shortage of angels because that was what my mother was, angel on Earth. This room keeps me going, it keeps me living. When my mother died I stopped living, when she died she took my heart and soul with her. Three weeks later my father met Jennifer at church. He said she was a comfort to his mourning soul, the woman God sent to him after mom died. Lies! Ms. Jennifer was always after my daddy even when my mother was alive. He being a pastor of a mega church and being well known in Chicago never stopped her. I’m no fool I could tell something was up with them. It seemed that the only seat she could sit in after my mother’s deaf was the front pew right in front of the pulpit and deacon board. It seemed the sicker my mom got the shorter her skirts got. I hate Ms. Jennifer with a passion and I know I shouldn’t. Last night they dropped the news that she was five months pregnant, my mom died four months ago. Where did my father go, this faithful devout Christian? How could he let her steer him so far away from God. How could he preach to our congregation about staying pure until marriage when he isn’t practicing what he preaching? He married Jennifer a month after my mom died, a month. I never said a thing to him I keep it to myself. I could never stand up to my dad or anyone for that matter.

I bowed my head and prayed to god as tears flowed down my cheeks. “ Lord, its Eve again. I ask that you give me strength to keep living because in you I can have strength.  In my weakness you are my strength, give me courage to be myself and not ashamed that I worship you, and peace and patience with my father, I ask that you tell my mom that I love her and that I finally cooked that sweet potato pie and it was a hit with the deacons. Tell her I miss her and I can’t wait to see her face. Forgive me for the sins I commit today and the sins I commit tomorrow and in Jesus name I pray Amen.” As soon as I finished that prayer I felt uplifted I felt stronger than ever.

I went back into my room and undressed quickly I was going to be late for work. I stripped out my night clothes and wrapped a towel around my body and headed to the bathroom to shower. I opened my door and there he was. “Princess Evie what you doing up so early”. Joe said as he pressed his morning wood into my stomach. He had morning breath and stubble from a week of no shaving. He had dark skin and prison tattoos that he got when he was doing eight years for armed robbery. “Nothing Joe I have to go I’m going to be late for work” I said praying that he would leave me alone. He just looked at me with lust in his eyes I felt disgusted every time he looked at me like that.

“Evie, Evie, Ms. Evie you know I can’t let you go “he said as he started rubbing up my leg. I quickly turned my nose so I couldn’t smell his rancid breath. “You like that don’t you?” he asked me “No” I        said afraid. “Are you still a virgin” he said as he went up my thigh and stuck a callused finger inside me to make sure. “Ahh keep it that way Evie, I hate to have to kill someone for touching what’s mine.”