Chapter 12

(Trey)

"Are you really going through on this? All you had to do was get with the girl and be "hers" for a quick minute, not become her husband." Chris said to me.

I sighed, and fixed the collar on my blue Polo shirt. Damn I looked good.

"I gotta gain her trust first. I don't say anything about you and Akita."

"I actually like her. This is just another of your bets."

Alright so yeah you caught me. This is just a bet. I didn't have to meet Ashanti's parents, but I had to seal the deal. I mean I'm already sure my good looks and charm got her wrapped around my finger.

"Listen man. They said I could get any girl besides her. And I'm gonna prove Tyler and them wrong." I sprayed a bit of cologne on my wrists.

"I don't know man...I mean Ashanti's a good person. And Akita says she ain't the one to play."

"Well she's playing my game."

I gathered up my car keys and wallet, and started to walk downstairs. Of course the house was empty.

"You ready?" I asked Chris.

"Yeah let's go."

~×~×~×~×~

We got to Ashanti's house around 5:10. I rang the doorbell. I heard someone yell, and a lady about in her 40s opened the door.

"You must be Trey and Chris. I'm Ashanti's mother." She shook my hand, and invited me in.

"Hopefully you'll like our dinner tonight." I walked into the dining room to smell something I haven't smelled in a long time.

A home-cooked meal.

On the table was chicken, mac & cheese, collard greens, and yellow rice. It looked so good.

"Boy wipe the drool off your lip." Ashanti's mother said laughing. I quickly wiped my lip, and smiled.

"Sorry ma'am but this food looks wonderful."

"Oh please call me Tanaysha...Here sit. She's upstairs getting ready." She said.

Chris and I sat down opposite each other. Tanaysha left the room, going upstairs. The guilt I felt was building up.

But I'm Trey Neverson. Star of the football team. I don't regret anything.

But I surely was regretting this.

"I know that look. You feel bad."

"Man shut up." I fumbled with my fingers.

"Dinner is ready girls!" Taynasha screamed.

She came back to the dining room, sitting at the head of the table. That's when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

The sight was beautiful.

Ashanti walked down the stairs like a model. The outfit she had on looked so beautiful on her. She looked so beautiful.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Um you already know Akita. This is Mimi." She said really fast. I can tell she was nervous which made me chuckle.

I got up and shook Mimi's hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Ooo and he got manners. Keep this one." Ashanti started to shake her head.

"Mimi shut up. Let's eat."

We all sat down, Ashanti next to me, and Akita next to Chris. Mimi sat at the other end of the table.

"Alright so we can start eating right? Cause I'm hungry." Akita said.