Chapter 46-Broken Ones

I'm Not The Only One - Sam Smith

Chapter 46—Broken Ones

I stared at myself in the mirror while Emily was taking her time inside the cubicle. I can't help but notice the dullness in my hazel eyes. I had been working for three days now, trying hard to go back to my supposed routine. My red hair was in a low ponytail, its end curled. The dark circles under my eyes were covered—as if I had been sleeping enough for the past week.

"You okay?" Emily asked me, pulling me out of my thoughts. I gave her a small smile as I nodded. I quickly placed my powder back inside my purse and we walked out of the washroom.

Daniel was leaning against the wall outside the washroom as he waited for us. When his grey eyes landed on us, he smiled and we all walked out of the building together.

I was thankful for them. They found out about the divorce and they respected my decision. They didn't ask why I had filed it. I was pretty sure they understand. Maybe they would have thought it was because of him cheating on me and not because I just wanted the baby to be raised with a complete family.

Luckily, they didn't press the issue. They only told me they were sorry about the miscarriage when we had met the morning I went back to work. After that, they tried their best not to bring our topic back to the divorce or to the baby. I didn't know if I could still hold up if they would dig in further.

"—again in the hospital...ugh...last time," I heard Emily tell as she casted me cautious glance. I didn't realise I had been spacing out until now. I just nodded and gave her a small smile, encouraging her to continue with what she was sharing. "She was alone so I think her baby's daddy was just a prick. I mean, she already told him about her pregnancy, I have heard her to talk to him over the phone,"

I recoiled a little, not realising they were talking about that. That was probably the reason why Emily has glanced at me worriedly. She noticed my movement and she stopped herself from speaking. I then smiled and spoke. "It's okay, continue. Stop looking at me like that, Em. I am fine."

Emily nodded before sharing a knowing look with Danny. Of course, they knew I am fine but not that fine. However, I do not want them to stop themselves from doing or for this case, sharing what they wanted to share. What if she was talking about a pregnant woman? It doesn't mean that she wanted me to remember what I had lost. I knew she didn't want that.

"I...I told her that she was strong for standing up for her baby," Emily told, again, glancing at me cautiously. I just nodded at her, letting her know that I agree with her for that matter. "She doesn't really need a man to be the father of her child. There are a lot of single moms out there who raised their kids without help from the person who impregnated them."

"They are like the modern heroes," Danny nodded before sipping at his cola. "but that was a pretty cool coincidence eh? Seeing that woman again,"

"Are you sure she wasn't scheduled for abortion when you saw her?" I blurted out without even realising. I sounded bitter without me even knowing. I hated abortion and just the thought of it but then the women who go for that option had their own reasons which I still don't understand. Accidentally losing a baby was hard. Purposely having it removed? I never wanted to know.

Emily and Daniel exchanged glances. It was like they were talking mentally that they should have just shut themselves up. Emily took a deep breath before speaking. "I asked her. She told me she just witnessed...that day...another woman losing her baby and she said, she would do her best with or without a man's help. She was there for a check up."

"Right, she shouldn't kill that innocent one inside her," I nodded. I felt the change of atmosphere between us. I glanced up at them and they were giving me the looks. "What?"